Job Title: Associate – Management Information Systems (MIS)
Location: (Kenya and Uganda) Kampala/Kisumu
Reporting to: Senior Associate – Management Information Systems
About Evidence Action: Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world.
About Monitoring Learning and Information Systems (MLIS) Team
The MLIS team embodies the evidence-based nature of Evidence Action’s work and enables us to be a data-driven organization.
- All ongoing program monitoring needs met (including M&E design and quality data collection)
- Programs delivered with access to timely and useful data for day-to-day programmatic planning and decision making
- Analysis and research conducted to support program improvements (including operation research, market research and cost-efficiency analysis)
- Support with timely, useful and clear information for evidence-based decision making (including provide support to connect the dots)
- Support provided to regional leadership for new programs and partnerships for exploration and evaluation
- Standards, systems and processes setup for delivery of all functions (monitoring, analysis, research, information systems and quality data)
Data Collection and Information Systems (DIS): Responsible for programming data collection and entry tools, training field officers, data collection and logistics of M&E activities, including short term staff databases. Information systems and cloud-based multi-user systems ensure that the program have access to timely and useful data.
Design, Data Processing and Analysis (DPA): Responsible for data management, analysis and research. DPA ensures that all ongoing program monitoring needs are met and analysis and research is conducted to support program improvements.
Data Innovation, Accountability and Learning (DIAL): Responsible for supporting the program teams with timely information in innovative, useful and clear ways to translate analysis and research to evidence-based decision making and action. DIAL also seeks out innovative ways to engage with program and is responsible for internal communications.
About the Position: Associate – Management Information Systems (MIS)
The Associate- Information Systems will be responsible for operational and technical support of key information systems which drive evidence action operations and expansion.
Roles and Responsibilities
Continuous maintenance of the cloud server (cross-cutting)
- Provide monitoring and maintenance support for the server Operating System on a regular basis to maintain the integrity of the server performance by increasing server uptime and ensuring the server meets the needs of the users at all times.
- Install, configure and apply new updates, patches as need arises to ensure the security and performance of the server as requested.
- Troubleshoot and resolve any server issues and correctly identify the source of the problem and implement a solution on the fly.
- Integrate new technologies onto the server when requested.
- Maintain and test Information System to ensure it is functioning properly as per program request and all data displayed is up to date.
- Implement necessary and/or requested development changes from time to time as the program requirements change such as the customization of the MIS for country- specific contexts.
- Lead development of new system features and upgrades as assigned.
- Train new users and retrain existing users of Information System and offer them support to ensure best practices when using the system.
- Take the lead on all development modifications and new development features added to the system in accordance with the specifications document or as have been requested by end users.
- Maintain the integrity of the data server and ensure it is accessible always by users and applications that may be referencing and/or using this data.
- Conduct regular data back-up and syncing and ensure the safety of the data in the cloud and local database.
- Support the data management team in downloading or uploading data correctly to the server as often as is necessary.
- Work closely with the data collection team to support data collection activities so as to ensure that data being sent to the cloud data storage is being properly received.
- Work closely with the data management team to ensure that data is clearly defined and remains consistent across all databases.
- Offer technical support to end users over the phone or in person to solve any mobile phone or computer related matters that are directly related to online data collection tools.
- Monitor information system equipment for errors and stoppages and offer corrective action and solutions.
- Participate in the identification, evaluation and testing of new tools and technologies that would be beneficial to the program and compile findings in a well written comprehensive technical report.
- Research and provide input on software and hardware choices and/or improvements for the program when requested.
- Support development and updating of standardized data collection instruments; for electronic data collection (ODK).
- Manage the updating of data dictionaries/codebooks for all data collection instruments used by MLIS and programs.
- Collaborate with other teams for improved service delivery to programs through collaboration with program and MLIS data collection teams to make sure that all electronic data collection instruments are programmed in time and are aligned with data collection protocols.
- Through Manager-DIS, support ODK programming requests from across the programs.
- Minimum qualification of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or any related field from a recognized university is a must.
- At least 2 years working experience in a dynamic IT or IS related position is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge in database design, development and maintenance using relational databases and database languages such as SQL and/or Oracle is a must.
- Demonstrated knowledge of use of Linux server technology is advantageous.
- Experience working with android survey technologies such ODK or SurveyCTO and Android application programming is desirable.
- Very strong technical skills and ability to be innovative.
- Very good time-keeping and sturdy principle to deliver tasks on time.
- Service/Client oriented and ability to work well in a cross-cultural team.
- Strong self-motivation and ability to work vigilantly under minimum supervision.
- Ability to communicate professionally both in written and spoken English.
- Flexible mind set and a positive attitude to work in a fast changing environment.
- Good organization skills and strong ability to multitask.
- Ability and willingness to travel to field offices when need arises.
CLICK HERE to apply online