Position: Food Security, Agriculture and Livelihoods Officer
Introduction: Indepth Research Services Ltd (IRES) has embarked on a process of expanding its service portfolio to include work on Agriculture, Food Security, Livelihoods and Disaster Management.
We are now looking for an experienced Livelihoods Officer with a possible start Date of June 2016 to be stationed in Nairobi.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct sector-specific assessments and make technical recommendations for appropriate activities and opportunities for consultancy and development of products agriculture, food security, nutrition and livelihoods.
- Be able to conduct comprehensive and rapid assessments of the food and livelihoods situation and be able to assess food and livelihood needs.
- Design appropriate responses, develop detailed work plan/monitoring tool.
- Source for opportunities in agriculture, food security and livelihoods and developing proposals.
- As appropriate, apply new & innovative developments in the agriculture and food security sector to target region programming.
- Developing training programs and delivering training in Kenya and abroad.
- Evaluating participants for IRES events and developing solution to enable them achieve desired level of capacity.
- Marketing and business development for the Institute.
- Actively represent IRES in food security, agriculture, and livelihood sector discussions and activities.
Skills & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture Economics or Agriculture.
- Knowledge of food security and livelihoods programming, including agricultural and horticultural production, irrigation, livestock management, income generating activities (IGAs), small and micro enterprises (SMEs), agricultural and livestock production marketing and value chains and cash based interventions.
- Good understanding of sustainable agricultural practices and participatory approaches.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Knowledge and previous practice of MS Office (Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of SPSS, STATA
- Knowledge of GIS and Remote Sensing
- 3 years of field experience in food security, agriculture, and livelihoods, including experience in emergency response and recovery following disaster.
- Knowledge of related programs, particularly nutrition and water and sanitation, will be an added advantage.
- Good English skills (both written and spoken).
- An up-to date understanding of food security, risk reduction, emergency response, early recovery, sustainable development and livelihoods concepts.
- Knowledge in designing and delivering training programmes in Agriculture, food security and livelihoods.
If you meet the above criteria, please send your application and a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 23rd May, 2016.
Note: Please use the job title as the subject line in your application email.