About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of January 2016 M-KOPA employs over 700 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Process & Systems Auditor
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Start: As soon As Possible
Reporting to: Chief Systems Officer
Overall Purpose: Carries out system and process audits for Key M-KOPA systems.
Designs and develops audit procedures & methodology in conjunction with cross-functional teams for existing processes as well as new business processes as they are introduced by the company.
Reviews and evaluates work of associates for improved quality of output across the function.
Recommends and submits reports on identified corrections and controls in need of improvement. Is able to work under minimal supervision.
- Carries out monthly reviews of IT systems access
- Carries out periodic reviews of Business process compliance
- Reviews Process & System controls.
- Performs statistical sampling to accomplish audit procedures. Obtains, analyzes and appraises supporting data utilizing various software applications.
- Performs testing and walkthrough procedures to determine company compliance on assigned processes: reviews and analyzes the control structure, documents testing results and communicates results to the process owners.
- Designs procedures to execute the audits required, assess controls and to meet audit objectives.
- Recommends revisions to audit procedures to enhance efficiencies. Reviews internal controls by evaluating the adequacy of system controls and recommends improvements.
- Evaluates the adequacy and timeliness of Audit responses, and the corrective action taken on significant audit recommendations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Management Information Systems, Accounting, Business or equivalent combination of related work experience and education.
Skills & Experience
- At least 3 years of experience in working in a similar role
- Proficient in using computer software (e.g., ACL, SQL, Excel) and application systems
- Knowledge & experience of auditing processes/procedures
- Ability to share and impart knowledge
- Ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Organizational and time management skills: ability to coordinate and perform multiple tasks/projects simultaneously, balancing priorities and deliverables.
- Competent interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to lead projects and mentor others
- Ability to evaluate business processes, identify risks and evaluate controls.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Advanced investigative and analytical skills
- Ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines.
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a team environment
- Ability to travel up to 25% of work time.
Remuneration: Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject EV-PSA-2077
Deadline for application is 5pm on Sunday 14th June, 2016.
Please Note: M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.