Background: Established in 2011, the Mara Elephant Project (MEP) is a registered Trust in Kenya with a track record of successfully conserving elephants and addressing threats to their survival in the Maasai Mara in Kenya.
As part of strengthening the organisation, a new strategic plan and fundraising strategy have been developed.
MEP is now seeking a Fundraising Specialist to implement its fundraising strategy
Purpose of Role: The purpose of the position is to build relationships with existing / new funders to grow and diversify income, strengthen MEP’s influence in the philanthropic, and manage grants, funder communications and events.
S/he will be responsible for securing significant funding from MEP’s priority income streams, including individuals, foundations, corporations, and governments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and cultivate donors to support MEP’s work, aligning donors’ giving interests with MEP’s programmes;
- Proactively develop compelling funding proposals for qualified donors;
- Writing grant/donor reports according to funder requirements;
- Support grants management;
- Provide donor stewardship, identifying creative, cost-effective engagement methods;
- Identify and work with partner organizations or government entities for cofunding;
- Highlight fundraising opportunities and risks;
- Plan and implement fundraising events;
- Keep donors abreast of MEP’s work by developing and implementing a robust donor communications plan;
- Identify networks in which MEP leadership can participate to raise the organisation’s profile;
- Support Board members to be involved in and contribute to securing income.
Key qualifications and experience
Advanced University degree
Proven experience in
a) securing significant gifts/grants, writing successful funding proposals and successfully bidding for funding in a competitive environment
b) working in Kenya and/or Africa, preferably for a conservation or animal non-governmental organisation and in an international context and
c) developing Boards to proactively support fundraising.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent skills in networking, communications, prospect research, marketing and project management
- Ability to explain complex issues to funders and present MEP and its work in a compelling, concise manner, work to multiple deadlines, develop good working relationships
- Flexibility to travel
- Fluency in English
Location: Given the nature and location of the Mara Elephant Project in the Maasai Mara, we are open to the successful candidate working remotely, either in Kenya or abroad.
To apply, please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title.
The application should reach us on or before 22nd May, 2016 at 5.00pm East Africa Time.