Position Available: Program Manager, Africa Regional Office
Based In: Nairobi, Kenya
Brief description of role: The position reports to the Program Support Division Director working to deliver programmatic commitments in AfRO’s strategy and work plans.
The Program Officer works in collaboration with foundations and thematic programs towards shared objectives, using grant making, research, advocacy and other tools to achieve objectives.
He/She will act as a point of contact and support for staff in foundations and thematic programs seeking information, advice or input for their work.
- Identify grant-making, operational and advocacy strategies to advance the designated program focus areas
- Undertake research/analysis including producing policy briefs and other written materials relevant to AfRO’s priority areas of work
- Carry out advocacy in support of AfRO and OSF goals and objectives
- Convene foundation staff and relevant thematic staff around key Africa-focused issues for information sharing and strengthening of strategy development
- Identify external expertise and capacity that can contribute to OSF’s work and develop knowledge and understanding of relevant fields
- Monitor progress towards accomplishing strategic goals and take part in review of programmatic work through portfolio reviews and other learning opportunities
- Promote new ideas for collaborative work in the Africa area and contribute to collaborative projects and shared frameworks in which AfRO or other Africa teams participate
- Join and contribute to communities of practice across OSF, as appropriate
- Supervise, promote staff growth, wellbeing and productivity through coaching, mentoring and helping others develop their skills
- Prioritize continuous learning through attending trainings within and without AfRO to ensure consistent standards of excellence
- Promote a healthy spirit of teamwork and communication within the AfRO team through regular meetings and exchange of information
Qualification / Knowledge / Experience / Skills:
- Master’s degree or equivalent with 10 years relevant experience working at regional and/or continental level
- In-depth knowledge of political/economic governance trends and developments in Africa
- Understanding of African continental and regional institutions and processes that include inter-governmental and civil society organizations
- Demonstrated experience of working to promote human rights and good governance at different levels
- Strong analytical, research and writing skills
- A strategic thinker
- Experience in grant making
- Ability to work in a global multi-cultural team
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to develop and sustain networks and communities of practice in areas relevant to AfRO’s programmatic work
- Integrity, diplomatic manner and professional discretion essential
- Willingness to travel as needed
Compensation: Competitive salary, with good benefits package
No phone calls, please.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Search Closes: 3rd June 2016
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org