Meet Ona Systems Inc
Information Technology and Services · 11-50 employees · Founded 2013 · Privately Held
Ona is a social enterprise technology company based in Nairobi, Kenya and New York dedicated to developing open source solutions to promote the smarter use of data.
We believe technology is a springboard to transform international development, allowing organizations to use data to overcome the greatest challenges and identify the best opportunities.
Position: Senior Software Engineer
Job Description: This position is to work on the OpenSRP team at Ona. OpenSRP is an open source mobile health platform that allows frontline health workers to electronically register and track the health of their entire client population.
At Ona, we don’t just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth.
We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We’re looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
Qualities we’re looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user’s problem is the end goal.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span timezones and cultures.
- You’re ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Minimum 2 years programming production web applications in Java
- Minimum 2 years programming production Android applications
- Experience with databases and their integration into web and Android applications
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
Nice to have
- Experience with CouchDB or other NoSQL databases
- Experience with the Spring Framework
- Experience working with remote teams
Please send the following to email@example.com:
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Examples of your work. Link to your GitHub page, projects you’ve completed, or your website.
- (bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we’ve written.