Duma Works is recruiting a General Manager for our client; a supermarket in Nairobi
Purpose: To oversee all aspects of day to day Co-op operations, and to meet organizational ends established by the Board of Directors, while remaining within board defined limits and aligned with the Co-op’s mission statement.
- All departments and staff of the business.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Establish organizational goals, performance objectives, guidelines and best practices that are based on Board Policy and strive towards achieving them.
- Oversee all store operations based on the goals, objectives, and standards of the organization.
- Oversee, assist, and supervise all departments and staff managers in planning and performance to achieve all goals and objectives.
- Provide a model of supportive and participatory leadership promoting the concepts of team building and empowerment.
- Preparation of all annual budgets and presenting to the board.
- Oversee the monitoring and managing of all costs and other controllable expenditures within budget.
- Understand and utilize the financial tools and reports available to Board.
- Implement the right structures to make sure the business is controlled accordingly
- Create and implement manuals for all operations in the shop (opening, closing, cleaning, receiving..)
- Monitor overall store conditions to meet customer service objectives and budgetary goals.
- Plan and implement all store operations within budget.
- Develop and oversee store design and merchandising plan.
- Maintain product price comparisons to the market, product mix, and merchandising standards sufficient to meet organizational ends and goals.
- Design, develop, and maintain stores that are well merchandised and customer friendly.
- Evaluate and identify customer service needs and develop necessary training to ensure the Co-op provides outstanding customer service to its members and customers and communicates clearly and effectively to the membership.
- Monitor key indicators to ensure overall satisfaction.
- Develop staff training plan, pay scale, position descriptions, staffing structure, orientation process, employee benefits and policy manual to ensure that organizational training needs are met.
- Hire management staff and oversee hiring of all other staff.
- Develop and maintain a system of staff feedback designed to facilitate communication within and among departments and participate in direct one-on-one performance feedback with supervisors and staff as necessary.
- Help facilitate the flow of information among staff.
- Understand, implement required programs, manage and monitor compliance with applicable federal and state health and safety laws.
- Ensure that all staff are trained in and follow all organizational safety procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure that the store provides a safe work environment for all staff and customers.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to Board Policy.
- Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Remain at all times within the Board stated Executive Limitations.
- Report compliance to Board policies as required by the Board of Directors.
- Work with Board to establish and achieve annual goals and objectives.
Store Promotion / Marketing
- Create on a monthly basis marketing plan.
- Plan and manage store promotions.
- 5 years experience in performance management, staffing, coordination, coaching, developing standards, business planning and strategy, process improvement, decision making, strategic planning and quality management
- Experience in a similar role required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attentive to detail
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of people
- Good planning and organizational skills
- High integrity
- Good interpersonal skills
- Business acumen.
- Leadership, analytical and decision making skills
- Communication proficiency.
- Problem solving/analysis.
- Project management.
- Strategic thinking.
Cover letter and detailed CV are to be sent by email to email@example.com marking the subject as “ 2244”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2244, Barack Obama, 07xxxxxxxxx.
If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through
Deadline for receiving applications: 10th June 2016
N.B.* When applying to any job through Duma Works, you can expect that after you apply, you will receive a confirmation email, and then an SMS alert asking you to take a basic screening test over SMS or online.
The SMS with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test, and if you ever have any issues with the process, please reach out to 0702093793.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer. This is to save both you and the employer time and make sure you both find the best match.