The Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not-for-profit, international University first established in 1983, with 11 campuses and teaching sites in 8 countries.
The University is a non-denominational institution open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity, gender or national origin.
Since 2001, AKU has offered academic programmes in nursing, medicine and education for and in countries in East Africa.
The University invites applications for the following positions:
Project Director, Construction
Position summary: Reporting to Vice President, Finance & CFO, the Project Director for the Aga Khan University in Uganda will be responsible for building and overseeing the team for the design and construction of the Aga Khan University Hospital and ancillary facilities on the Nakawa site in Kampala, Uganda as well as any other renovation or construction related matters for the University in Uganda.
Highlights of responsibilities/duties;
- Establish and manage project goals, a project execution plan, capital cost estimates and budgets, and schedules for all aspects of the project; ensure that the project is completed to the highest standards on schedule, within approved budgets and specifications, and meeting all regulatory requirements.
- Coordination of academic, health care, finance, administrative, and any other internal project stakeholders for the design and construction of all facilities to be located on the Nakawa site in Kampala.
- Build and effectively lead a project team to deliver the project on time and on budget; supervise project staff for smooth functioning of services and serve as a mentor and role model for staff.
- Ensure that the construction on site begins no later than July 2017 and that the first phase of the hospital is operational in 2020.
- Oversight of the potential relocation of the School of Nursing to the Nakawa site.
- Be the liaison and representative of the project for all external stakeholders as well as build strategic relationships with key stakeholders.
- Conduct risk analysis, maintaining and opportunistic eye on market realities and recommend income generating opportunities.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience designing and building academic, health care, or other institutional facilities from design through commissioning.
- Completion of a graduate degree in planning, engineering or business or other comparable field from an internationally recognized University
- Experience working in design and construction in the developing world, preferably in Uganda and sub-Saharan Africa
- Highly analytical, financial astute, with a masterly of design of design and construction related decision making tools, concepts, techniques and metrics at the project, programme and portfolio levels.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with a variety of individuals/groups.
Faculty – Physician Scientist
Position Summary: In the Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical College, the Physician Scientist will be based in AKU Nairobi and will be actively engaged as a member of research teams to facilitate new insights and discoveries.
Highlights of responsibilities/duties;-
- 80% of his/her time in research, including proposal writing and grant acquisition, leading the implementation of research projects, including proposal development, supervising the research activities, data monitoring and analysis, report writing, publications and translating research findings into practice and policies
- 20% in clinical work
- S/he will work within the Centre of Excellence for Women and Child Health (CoE WCH) to support and develop the research agenda
- S/he will report to the Chair of the relevant Clinical Department and to the Director CoEWCH in relation to research activities.
- Have a MMed degree in health sciences or equivalent, in a health related field to Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Family Medicine
- Be interested in a clinician scientist career path
- At least a minimum of 2-5 years’ experience in health sciences (OBS/Gynaecology, Paediatrics, and Family Medicine) or a public health related field.
- Demonstrated research interest and experience in health sciences.
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills.
- Experience in teaching and/or supporting research methods teaching/mentoring of leaners.
Interested candidates are invited to email their application, curriculum vitae, names of three referees and copies of certificates & testimonials, clearly indicating their current and expected remuneration to firstname.lastname@example.org so as to reach not later than 20th May, 2016