Position: Project Officer
Duration: Fixed Term
Closing date: 18 May 2016
Interview date: 6th June 2016
About VSO: VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries.
Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
The Project Officer will be responsible for managing and supporting a pair of volunteer Team Leaders to provide adequate pastoral support to a team of UK and Kenyan volunteers, and facilitating learning for Team Leaders and Volunteers during placement period and post placement period.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- A Bachelor’s degree preferably in social sciences
- At least two years of experience in Kenyan sign language
- Knowledge on disability rights and inclusion practices
- Proven experience of working with and providing support to 18-25 year olds from a wide range of backgrounds with proven ability to facilitate learning in a non-formal environment
- Experience working with deaf children youth, and their families in education or livelihood initiatives or successful work with
- Direct and substantial experience of working cross-culturally and able to communicate to a range of audiences and promote sharing and learning between cultures
- Knowledge of issues which are common to communities in developing countries, possibly achieved through working or living in a developing country. Experience of promoting learning about development issues.
- Possession of strong written and communication skills needed for writing reports, publicity materials and corresponding with a wide-range of community members.
- Significant experience of working in a supervisory role. Proven ability to promote self-awareness, learning and development among individuals.
- Able to develop clear and realistic plans to deliver agreed objectives within deadlines, involving key individuals in the planning process.
- Experience of managing budgets and undertaking accounting procedures. Sufficient experience of working with volunteers to understand the key factors which make volunteer placements viable, effective and rewarding.
- Experience in designing and evaluating youth programmes in an international context. Experience in using monitoring and evaluation tools and processes. VSO is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all sectors of society.
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for.
To submit your application, click on ‘Link’
and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.