Our Client is an organization operating in rural Rarieda District. The organization began as a grass-root CBO in 2003 to assist orphaned children and youth through community empowerment.
They have since developed into a dynamic organization, focused on empowerment and development, both within the community and the organization.
They are currently seeking to recruit talented, progressive and team-oriented individual to fill the position of WASH Team Leader based in Rarieda District, Kenya.
Due to the rural set-up and challenges associated therewith, all applicants should have a personal commitment to working with the vulnerable community.
Applicants should take time to reflect and make sure they resonate strongly with the organization’s vision and mission before considering to apply.
Vision: People believe in themselves and work together to build a vibrant and progressive community.
Empower people and build their capacities to create positive change for children and youth within their community.
Purpose of the Position: The WASH Team Lead is expected to provide technical and managerial leadership and expert assistance to guide, coordinate, manage and monitor the expanding water, sanitation and hygiene related portfolio of activities.
S/he must interact with a range of partners involved in the sector, maintain oversight of the overall sector impacts and ensure the efficient use of resources.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent should have excellent leadership skills, initiative, and independent judgment in supporting the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of strategies and programs in the WASH sector.
S/he is responsible for providing management and supervisory direction as well as technical guidance to the WASH staff, contractors, and grantees to ensure that programs adhere to the terms and conditions of partner agreements, and are achieving the development impact and results that are expected.
The WASH Team Lead works independently, on most technical matters.
Being a key expert upon whom the organization relies to guide policy, program and resource allocation decisions, s/he interacts directly with a range of staff, including the Executive Director, Operations Manager, other Managers, and funding partner representatives, on related issues.
S/he works collaboratively and proactively with other technical experts and support offices on program matters.
The Team Lead supervises the work of two or three Program and Technical Specialists, to whom s/he delegates responsibilities and provides assistance in achieving their work objectives.
Specifically, the WASH Team Lead is expected to perform duties in the following areas:
- Lead efforts to assess and address institutional constraints impacting access and use of water in Rarieda and identify priority issues requiring institutional strengthening to assure consistent and sustainable supply of clean water
- Lead efforts in identifying key technical challenges in water and sanitation service provision and management
- Design water/sanitation/hygiene-related strategies, programs and activities to meet strategic objectives
- Play a key role in identifying and coordinating the various water, sanitation and hygiene-related activities and players.
- Develop, maintain and strengthen working relationships with key partners, including national ministries, local governments, international organizations and other donors, private sector, NGOs, universities and the media, to identify and implement efforts to increase synergy among the key stakeholders and promote collaborative planning, technical training and institutional strengthening toward long term sustainable solutions.
- Compile, analyze, and disseminate, on a regular basis and as needed, reports detailing progress in achieving sector objectives along with commentary on issues and recommended solutions.
- Lead the development of a performance management plan for all water activities. Ensure project and/or sectoral assessments are carried out and participate in developing Statements of work, field trips, data analysis and dissemination of these assessments.
- Perform Monitoring & Evaluation and regular evaluations of activities in collaboration with the Program team. This includes review of program and financial reports paying particular attention to: activity performance indicators, program objectives achievement, methodology and lessons learned paying particular attention to inputs, output and expected outcomes including economic, social, cultural, and technical factors, and financial indicators (e.g., expenditures, burn rate/pipeline analysis and congruity of expenditures against activities.
- Monitor and document development impacts and resolve implementation issues in an efficient and professional manner.
The incumbent works under the general supervision of the Executive Director who will review and approve his/her work plan and performance measures.
A high degree of independent judgment is required reviewing program documentation, and managing assigned actions and tasks.
The incumbent must demonstrate the ability to function independently within a demanding, culturally complex community environment.
Qualifications Required for Effective Performance: This position requires a broad combination of technical, analytical, and managerial abilities combined with excellent communication skills.
The incumbent should demonstrate a range of expertise in the area of management and the field of water and sanitation services.
Education: Master’s degree in environmental management, public health, engineering, public administration or related field is required.
Prior Work Experience: Minimum 5 years of demonstrated management experience and 3 years experience in water supply, sanitation, and hygiene programming.
Skills & Abilities: The position requires a combination of managerial, technical, and analytical, abilities along with the demonstrated ability to manage resources, programs and people.
Expertise in the areas of sustainability, systems-based approaches to development, WASH, and program design is desirable.
Job Knowledge: Direct experience in the management of donor-funded projects required. Direct hands-on experience in WASH also valued.
Knowledge of development programming and project management required as demonstrated through education and/or experience.
Knowledge of water and sanitation sector development, including technology selection, institutional structures, community governance, financing, environmental sustainability, and social / cultural issues including gender.
Interested candidates for this position should send their CV and Cover Letter by 20th May, 2016 to email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.