The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an international non-profit policy think tank whose mission is to translate and enable utilisation of evidence in policy-making, primarily in the fields of population change and sustainable development; and health systems strengthening in Africa.
We work to bridge the gap between research, policy and practice by enabling use of research evidence in decision-making aimed at addressing various development challenges in Africa.
For more about us, please visit our website www.afidep.org.
With our Head Office in Nairobi-Kenya and a branch office in Lilongwe-Malawi, we are seeking experienced and highly motivated individual to fill the position of a Grants Accountant.
The Grants Accountant will support implementation of programmes through management of programme funding, application and activities implementation.
He/she will support pre-award financial proposal development efforts, set-up, and post-award management and monitoring of grants and contracts as well as closure of project financial activities.
In addition, he/she will provide support to project teams on compliance to donor rules and regulations providing budgetary oversight on project activities.
He/she will be required to build greater capability of the Institute in grants and sub-grants management that is aligned with the Institute’s programme and partnership approaches.
- Support the translation of project proposal and plan into financial plan
- Support project development budgeting process
- Provide best practice models and tools to ensure exhaustive project costing and full cost recovery
- Establish and develop effective working relationships with donors and develop funding projections for outstanding proposals/concept notes
- Reconciliation of donor statements
- Timely and accurate donor invoicing
- Timely donor reporting
- Management of donor accounts and statements
- Monitor all budgeted programme expenditures and manage a system for regular monitoring of budget expenses and associated variations
- Ensure adequate resources for programme implementation
- Ensuring proper and effective engagement of programme stakeholders
Programmes accounts management
- Project budgeting
- Project accounts maintenance
- Project reporting, ensuring that financial reports for funders are submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitoring of grant budgets, expenditures and forecasts of future needs
- Support to project managers on projects administration and financial management
- Maintenance of projects’ financial management documentation
Management of partners’ accounts
- Partner statement reconciliation
- Partners’ financial reports consolidation
- Partners’ requests/claims verification and reconciliations before forwarding to for approvals
- Maintenance of partners’ files and documentation
- Establish and leverage partnerships with implementation consortia members and other stakeholders
Project audit facilitation
- Plan project audits as per donor and the institute’s guidelines
- Support execution of the audit
- Maintenance of audit files and schedules
- Custody of programmes contractual and transaction documentation
Partners capacity building
- Support partners in their financial management activities
- Partners’ training and support
- Regular monitoring of sub-partner budgets and expenditure levels ensuring compliance with contract agreements
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- The candidate should possess a minimum of Masters’ degree in Business Administration with a Finance or Accounting first degree.
- Holder of professional accounting/finance qualification will be preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in international non-profit organisation
- Demonstrated experience in supporting international development programme activities
- Proven experience in management of grants and grants contracts, working with and interpreting applicable donor rules and regulations
- Demonstrated experience in donor requirements of key donor organisations. Experience in using computerised accounting system
- Demonstrated skills in computerized accounting as well as MS office and Internet
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills especially with long and many spreadsheets
- Critical thinking, with excellent writing and communication skills
- Additional official language such as French will be an added advantage
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see activities through to completion
- Meticulous and attentive to details with wide experience in management of budgets
- High integrity, hardworking and willing to go the extra-mile to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Additional information: This position will be for an initial period of 2 years, renewable depending on performance, needs of the institute and availability of funding.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with qualifications and experience
Please send (1) one-page cover letter (2) CV of not more than 4 pages (including three relevant referees), not later than 10th June 2016 to the contact below.
Application letters should have the title of the position as the subject as well as subject of email for electronic applicants.
Only qualified applicants shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Address: Finance and Administration Manager
African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP),
Royal Offices, Mogotio Road off Chiromo Lane, Westlands,
P.O. Box 14688-00800, Westlands,