Community Philanthropy Manager
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) has been working in East Africa since 1974 and pursues innovative solutions to the seemingly intractable problems that lead to poverty.
AKF is managing a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectoral initiatives that includes programmes in sustainable economic development, education, early childhood development, health, nutrition and civil society strengthening.
AKF is looking for a dynamic manager with a passion for philanthropy to implement the Yetu Initiative (Yetu). Yetu works with Kenyan Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to generate community philanthropic support for their missions in three significant ways:
1) direct support to develop and implement fundraising/awareness campaigns;
2) capacity building and training; and
3) development of an online philanthropy portal to connect CSOs and potential donors.
In this role you will have the opportunity to work with government, private sector and civil society to reach into the hearts and minds of Kenyans and rally their support for all kinds of worthwhile causes.
The successful candidate is highly self-motivated, engaging, proactive and energetic.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the Project Director.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Manage the Initiative – ensuring targets are accomplished, deadlines are met, and objectives are achieved.
- Oversee implementation, including: work-planning, reporting, communications, monitoring, evaluation, research, learning, subgrant management, and financial management.
- Provide capacity-building to local CSOs in community philanthropy, sustainability strategies, marketing, communications, and other key capacities.
- Mentor CSOs to conduct campaigns to garner support for their missions.
- Coordinate a diverse team as well as numerous volunteers and subgrantees.
- Coordinate with a variety of stakeholders, including USAID, the Steering Committee, corporate and institutional partners.
- As directed, manage emerging programmatic issues and activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (Master’s preferred)
- Minimum 5 years working with CSOs (7 plus years preferred), with at least 3 years in a leadership role
- Minimum 3 years working in or engaging with the business sector (5 plus years preferred)
- Minimum 2 years working on USAID-funded projects
- Experience with fundraising campaigns and other innovative outreach and sustainability efforts
- Demonstrated projected management skills and ability to build CSO capacity
- Demonstrated ability to network and catalyze cooperation and learning between disparate groups, including business and government
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with key AKF sectors and the Kenyan context for civil society
Candidates interested in this exciting career opportunity should send their cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of 3 professional referees to the following email address: email@example.com, with “Community Philanthropy Manager” in the subject line by 30th June, 2016 to the Regional Human Resources Officer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org).