Regional Programme Director
Do you want to shape the direction of meaningful development programs in East Africa?
Are you a visionary leader with a desire to strengthen civil society in East Africa?
Aga Khan Foundation East Africa (AKF) is looking for a Regional Programme Director who will be part of its senior leadership team and will be responsible for developing, implementing, overseeing, tracking, and evaluating AKF programmes throughout East Africa.
This position will be based in Nairobi and will report to the Regional Chief Executive Officer.
AKF is part of the broader Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of development agencies that work primarily in the poorest parts of Africa and Asia with mandates that include the environment, health, education, architecture, culture, microfinance, rural development, disaster reduction, promotion of private sector enterprise and the revitalisation of historic cities.
AKF works in collaboration with other agencies and partners outside the AKDN to develop and promote innovative solutions that contribute to improving the quality of life in East Africa.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Provide direct management of Kenyan programs, and advise on quality assurance for all programs throughout the region;
- Contribute to the development of innovative new initiatives that advance local, national and regional priorities, and are in line with the broader AKF EA strategy;
- Provide direction, motivation and coordination to a diverse team;
- Represent AKF in high-level forums and meetings to create and strengthen partnerships with AKDN agencies, governments; donors; NGOs and other stakeholders;
- Lead long-term and annual planning, and systematically track program progress;
- Implement a robust quality assurance and learning system that monitors program results, suggests improvements, and informs broader policies;
- Work with the Policy and Partnership Director to develop policy papers that capture AKF’s experiences and influence regional best practices;
- Lead in mapping the regional and global context to pre-position programs for success.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in international development in a management role
- Minimum Master’s degree in social sciences or relevant experience
- Strong leadership and people management skills at a senior level
- Experience in developing new programming, ideally across multiple sectors
- Experience in developing and implementing quality control and learning systems for complex development programmes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working across geographical and organisation boundaries, across cultures & diverse development stakeholders
- Experience of working in East Africa and knowledge of local cultures
Candidates interested in this exciting career opportunity should send their cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of 3 professional referees to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Regional Programme Director” in the subject line by 30th June, 2016 to the Regional Human Resources Officer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org).