The Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Division of Global HIV/AIDS and TB Program (DGHT) is supporting the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
APHL is supporting the National Public Health Laboratories to establish an equipment calibration center and seeks to fill a position of biomedical engineer.
The candidate will be employed as full time consultant for the first one year with renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Scope of work:
- Provide technical support to the Ministry of Health National Public Health Laboratories (MoH-NPHL) in establishing a National equipment maintenance training and calibration center.
- Support development of a training curriculum for biomedical engineers and laboratory personnel addressing equipment calibration, routine and preventive equipment maintenance
- Deliver basic equipment maintenance and calibration training to Ministry of Health (MOH)staff with specific emphasis on the importance of preventative equipment maintenance using appropriate guidelines and procedures
- Provide training on methods to support, investigate, diagnose, and troubleshoot technical problems on a variety of basic laboratory instruments (not currently under manufacturer maintenance contracts)
- Support MOH in establishing a routine equipment maintenance and calibration program for the laboratory program targeting both national and county government health facilities.
- Assist in the development of documents and policies for recordkeeping and record maintenance information, including the creation of an equipment inventory log
- Provide technical assistance in re-establishment of electronic inventory database system
- Provide technical assistance and specification on test equipment, equipment procurement and other materials
- Aid in the implementation of a policy and procedure for removal from service and disposal of unused and obsolete laboratory equipment
- Provide technical assistance with establishment of systems for monitoring and evaluation of equipment management activities in Kenya
- Participate in National Laboratory equipment calibration and management technical working group.
- BSc or Masters in biomedical engineering / industrial technology / Electrical or mechanical engineering with a background in biomedical engineering from recognized University; or Higher national diploma in biomedical engineering with over 6 years’ experience
- Working experience in a clinical or industry laboratory with a focus on Training, Calibration and servicing of Laboratory equipment
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) or Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Ability to train and mentor Biomedical technicians and Lab scientists of different cadres
- Computer literacy (word, excel, power point, outlook)
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers, MoH and other collaborating partners
- Efficient and effective in oral and written communication
All interested parties should send their application and updated CV to LISProposal@aphl.org.
Applications are due no later than 30 June, 2016.