African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC)
Terms of Reference for Consultancy to conduct literature and policy scan on urban education in East Africa
Project Title: Urban Education: Improving the quality of education for children living in Urban Informal Settlements in East Africa
Introduction: APHRC is an international non-governmental research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in Africa.
APHRC actively engages policymakers and other key stakeholders to achieve measurable policy impacts and ensure decision making across the continent is informed by rigorous evidence-based research.
APHRC is currently implementing an education project aimed at improving access to quality education among the urban disadvantaged children through evidenced based advocacy in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
The project envisions achieving this through the promotion, adoption and implementation of supportive policies for schools serving the disadvantaged in urban East Africa.
APHRC is seeking the services of a consultant to conduct a desktop literature review on education issues among the urban disadvantaged communities in the three countries and a review of the existing education and related policies.
The literature and policy review should cover the following:
1) Issues of urban education, with a specific focus on the education of the urban disadvantaged children including and not limited to education access & quality, governance, equality of learning outcomes, equity and inclusion as well as special needs education thematic areas.
2) Existing education reforms and other relevant policies and show how they address these thematic areas in (1); and/or how they promote or inhibit the education of the children living in informal settlements.
3) How these policies could be strengthened and/or implemented better in order to respond to the education needs of the urban disadvantaged children.
The work should result to a comprehensive report – with country specific chapters and a synthesized chapter.
The report should integrate existing research literature and policy framework, present identified gaps in literature and policy implementation as well as provide a concise set of recommendations based on the literature and policy review for each country.
The report will lead to a journal publication in which the consultant will be a co-author.
Deliverables and Time Frame
APHRC anticipates the assignment will be completed within a period of three months from 20th June to 16th September 2016.
Note the timelines can be discussed and negotiated between the successful candidate and APHRC.
Qualifications and Experience
Key skills, technical background and experience required:
- Must have a post graduate degree in either Education, Sociology, or Anthropology or in a related field
- At least 7 years’ experience in education and development issues especially among marginalized populations like those in the slums
- A proven track record on publication and experience with research, literature and policy review relevant to this call
- Excellent English writing skills.
Expression of Interest
Interested individuals (consultants) should submit an expression of interest and a CV accompanied by a brief proposal (including a budget) on the approach and understanding of this assignment to http://hrs.aphrc.org copying email@example.com by 10th June 2016.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children