Vacancies: Community Relations Officers
ARM Cement Ltd, (formerly Athi River Mining), was founded in 1974 and has grown to become one of East Africa’s largest cement manufacturer under the Rhino Cement brand, with a regional market share of around 15%.
ARM Cement is publicly listed in the Nairobi Securities Exchange and a frontrunner in East African manufacturing, with cement plants in Athi River, Kaloleni, Kigali, Daresalaam, and Tanga.
The Company also manufactures sodium silicate, industrial minerals and soil and crop specific Mavuno Fertilizers.
ARM recently entered into a $140 million equity investment deal with the CDC Group, a development finance institution of the UK government.
This equity investment will see the Company continue an aggressive growth and expansion programme, improve production efficiencies and continue the community developmental work proudly managed by Company staff under the Rhino Cement Foundation.
To support the expansion programmes and the community development work, we are seeking to recruit results-oriented Community Relations Officers (2) to be part of a team, in a high growth environment ARM Cement is an equal opportunity employer.
Title: Community Relations Officers (2)
Location: Athi River & Kaloleni, Kenya
Work Type: Full time
The position is permanent and pensionable with a competitive remuneration to the successful candidate.
The primary responsibility will be to ensure the effective implementation of the Rhino Cement Foundation initiatives under the broad direction of the Board of Trustees.
- Effective communication of the impact of the projects under Rhino Cement Foundation
- Participate in community meetings on various topics, including community safety, project updates on various upcoming and planned activities, etc.
- Provide communities with regular information on issues and project activities and their impact on communities or individuals.
- Assist communities in lodging grievances, either formally or informally, and ensure that concerns are followed-up by relevant personnel. This will include registering complaints in the log, conducting initial investigations and working with appropriate personnel to ensure complaints are responded to appropriately, drafting responses to complaint letters.
- Participate in the social impact identification and assessment for the projects; participate in community consultation planning and implementation activities.
- Assist the relevant teams as required to ensure that the project activities are performed and completed in coordination with communities and the stakeholders.
- Closely interact with different teams i.e. Project team, as well as Security, Land and other teams with regards to community issues and concerns, and provide guidance on specific / localized community issues to respective teams.
- Monitor activities of contractors to ensure adherence to social management plans.
- Provide coaching and deliver social training to Projects, Operations and Contractors’ relevant staff as required.
- Work closely with Community Development Advisor to become familiar with community development issues and provide input as required.
- Provide regular reports on social performance that include a summary of all community meetings, major issues and complaints. Support provision of other social reports, as required.
- Participate and provide input in emergency response exercises, as required.
Essential qualifications / knowledge / experience
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience
- Degree or higher in Social sciences.
- Experience of developing and disseminating communication to various publics
- Proven media liaison experience.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Kiswahili (Local languages will be an added advantage).
- Strong report writing and presentation skills.
- Experience working in a complex and challenging field environment.
- Strong accountability, consistency and follow-through skills.
- Able to work independently and use critical thinking to solve problems and find solutions as needed.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Conflict management skills and experience in conflict resolution.
- Good understanding of the stakeholder engagement and community consultation processes.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application to the address below.
It should include:
- A covering letter that clearly demonstrates experience, based on the job described here and its requirements, why you are the best person for this job.
- An up-to-date CV that includes a description of relevant experience.
- The names and addresses of three professional referees.
- Your email, Skype address and day-time telephone number
- Details on current remuneration and your contractual notice period/earliest availability.
PO Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100
PO Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100
Application Deadline: Wednesday 22nd June, 2016
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that we do not charge for receiving or processing applications.
ARM Cement is an equal opportunity employer.