Career Opportunity: Chief of Party
The USAID – funded PMI AIRS (“Africa Indoor Residual Spraying”) Project supports the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), as well as USAID Missions in planning implementing, and monitoring annual IRS programs with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
It is expected that during the PMI AIRS Project, activities will also focus on creating sustainability and increase incountry ownership for IRS programming.
Under the supervision of the U.S.-based Project Director, the Kenya Chief of Party (COP) manages, and supervises the successful implementation of the PMI AIRS Project and acts as the primary liaison between the project, the USAID/PMI mission in Kenya, the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) and other various malaria stakeholders in-country.
The COP is required to provide overall strategic direction, operations management, technical leadership, and financial and administrative compliance for all project activities to assure IRS campaigns meet desired outcomes, are completed on-time, and within budget.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Represents Abt Associates and the PMI AIRS Project to the PMI Advisor of the USAID Mission, the NMCP, county public health officials, and other key stakeholders.
- Carries full authority and accountability for project decisions, as delegated by the U.S.- based Project Director.
- Sets and pursues a results-oriented program strategy in coordination with the project team and in consultation with USAID, other partners and stakeholders.
- Leads the development and production of all deliverables, including annual country work plans, semi-annual reports, and End-of-Spray reports.
- Ensures that all country planning activities, spray operations, technical compliance measures, and other deliverables are achieved in a timely manner.
- Develops a capacity-building plan for transferring IRS knowledge and skills to local institutions, and develops important connections for assuring an increased role of local institutions in IRS campaign planning, implementation, and monitoring.
- Ensures that gender initiatives increase the participation of women at all levels and in all aspects of IRS programming, and ensure their safety.
- Supervises and mentors the Operations Manager, F&A Manager, Technical Manager and others as needed.
- Ensures that staff, team members and consultants understand their roles and responsibilities and comply with contract requirements, USAID and Abt policies and procedures.
- Oversees the development and timely implementation of monitoring plans for all project activities and ensures that data required for USAID performance benchmarks and results frameworks are produced.
- Ensures that project budget projections, expenditure, tracking and reporting are in accordance with USAID and Abt Associates requirements, procedures and practices.
- Ensures that lessons learned and best practices are documented and shared.
Qualification requirements include the following:
- Master Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate Degree (desirable), in Public Health/Health Administration (or other relevant health specialization) or Business Administration.
- Candidates with Medical Degrees are also desirable.
- 10 – 15 years of relevant international health experience, including significant experience in the area of malaria prevention and control.
- Experience in the geographic/cultural region of the project is preferred.
- At least 5 years of senior project management experience in large international health projects/programs.
- Demonstrated leadership in management skills and ability to lead and motivate multidisciplinary, multicultural teams, ranging from 10 to 30 employees.
- Experience managing a fast paced, results oriented, deadline driven project.
- Significant ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with USAID, ministry officials, and other development partners.
- Experience developing and communicating a project vision, aligning key stakeholders around the vision, and assuring the vision is translated into efficiently implemented program activities.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to communicate and write reports and other professional documents in English.
Interested candidates are encouraged to visit the careers page on www.abtassociates.com and apply online OR send a cover letter and CV to Kenya_IRSJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied in e-mail subject line e.g. “Chief of Party” by COB July 1st, 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.