Job Title: Finance and Administration Assistant
Location: Nairobi County, Kenya
Application Closing and Time Date: 23.59 pm, 28th June 2016
Reports To: Finance And Administration Manager
Salary Range: Commensurate to work experience and academic qualifications
Who We Are: Education Effect Africa (EEA) is a Kenyan non-governmental organization focused on providing children living in marginalized areas with high quality education.
Since our inception in 2013, Education Effect Africa has been working with disadvantaged communities living in informal settlements of Nairobi and rural areas of Central, Western and Nyanza regions of Kenya.
- Enhancing access to quality education: We focus on sustained, intensive and quality teacher professional development alongside improving and increasing the physical infrastructure of schools. In addition, we also provide scholarships to bright but financially disadvantaged students in areas that we work.
- Innovation in education: Education Effect Africa promotes active and experiential methods of teaching. We provide teachers and students from marginalized areas with modern sources of knowledge such as Internet resources, computers and educational software.
- Bridging the digital divide: Access to digital technologies and the ability to benefit from new information and communication tools are a prerequisite of contemporary education. Education Effect Africa has been facilitating the launch of computer laboratories in marginalized areas of Kenya as well as offering ICT trainings to teachers and students.
- Water, sanitation and health: Education Effect Africa is providing primary schools with hygienic toilets, clean sources of water and hand-washing facilities. Our trainers and facilitators assist the teachers in delivering effective health education classes to children in all grades of primary school.
Job Purpose: The Finance and Administration Assistant role is targeting young professionals who are keen on enhancing their on-the-job experience in the fields of finance and administration.
Reporting to the Finance and Administration Manager, the overall responsibility of the Finance and Administrative Assistant will be to carry out ordinary day to day duties to ensure the smooth running of the finance and administration department at EEA.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will assist the Finance and Administration Manager in:
- Management of office petty cash: overseeing petty cash transactions, preparing monthly petty cash summary reports and requisitions for petty cash imprest as and when they fall due
- Asset management: maintaining the asset register, assisting in stock count and physical check of assets, overseeing issuing and return of assets to/from staff
- Preparing payment vouchers and in checking that all payment vouchers are well supported by invoices and/or other necessary documents
- Reviewing staff travel and advance payment requisitions and to check thoroughly supporting documents provided
- Management of staff imprest accounts
- Maintaining a schedule of utility payments and ensuring they are paid on time
- Filing and payment of NHIF, NSSF and HELB deductions
- Preparing purchase orders for approval and providing logistical support during procurement
- Carrying out monthly bank reconciliations
- Management of accounts payables
- Preparing monthly management and project financial reports
- Posting financial transactions into QuickBooks accounting software
- Providing support during annual external audits
- General office management including ensuring cleanliness of the office, overseeing office repairs, receiving and attending to visitors, answering the office phone and serving as first contact to external parties
- Management of shared organizational mailboxes including regular checking and replying to general inquiries, sorting and distributing of emails to relevant persons and departments
- Management of office supplies including purchase, issuing, regular stock count and reordering of office supplies
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate filing systems (both physical and electronic) and databases for office correspondence, program and financial documents
- Gathering information for project and program from sources such as the internet, making phone calls and other areas as required
- Ensuring compliance of administrative, travel, IT, HR and procurement policies by EEA staff
- Any other supportive services as would be advised from time to time to the Finance and Administration Manager
Education, knowledge, technical skills, experience and desirable requirements
- Minimum of a diploma in business management or other related business studies
- Minimum of CPA Part II
- Minimum of a certificate in Microsoft Office proficiency, preferably ICDL with excellent skills in use of MS Excel
- Knowledge and practical experience in using QuickBooks or other accounting software will be highly considered
- Minimum of 6 months proven experience in a busy finance department preferably in a non-governmental organizations
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Female applicants who are residents of Nairobi will be given priority and are encouraged to apply.
Contract and Level of Involvement
- Full time, 6 months contract from 1st June 2016 – 31st December 2016. The 6 month contract is inclusive of a 1 month probation period. The contract is subject to extension depending on the performance of the successful candidate and availability of funds.
- The Finance and Administration Assistant will be based in our head offices in Nairobi County.
How to Apply
All application letters together with detailed CVs including names of three referees and expected remuneration for the above advertised assignment should be addressed to
Education Effect Africa,
P.O. Box 52199-00100,
and sent by email to email@example.com
not later than 23.59 pm, 28th June 2016.
Please indicate clearly on the subject line of the email the position you are applying for.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from Education Effect Africa after 7th June 2016.