Hours of Work: The job is done within normal working hours.
Position Summary & Primary Objective: This position is responsible and accountable for managing and controlling administration of the policy cycle through member registration and underwriting in order to protect the company from underwriting risks.
The position holder is charged with these responsibilities across all the Company Health country offices.
The jobholder will be expected to demonstrate commitment and loyalty and perform all duties in accordance with the organization’s office routines and procedures, keeping in mind the overall business objectives.
Strategy & Policy
- Actively engage and contribute to the development and review of the corporate underwriting strategy, policy and approach within the organization and harness the input of other stakeholders including (actuarial, underwriting, reinsurance, finance)
- Document the Underwriting department processes and ensure continuous innovation and process improvement to keep abreast of clients’ developing needs
- Create and continuously review processes and procedures to ensure underwriting, product and contract content is appropriate and controlled.
- Develop comprehensive underwriting user manuals and work with the human resource team to schedule underwriting training
- program for all employees that is relevant to their level of use.
- Execute the training program, and facilitate part of the program as appropriate.
- Create and continuously review processes and procedures to receive, vet, rate and upload into the system member/customer documentation.
- On-board members within agreed turnaround times.
- Create and continuously review mechanisms and structures to update and avail pertinent accurate information on product offering per member / group, etc., in a timely and comprehensive manner into the system and to the provider networks so as to enable customers’ to access the services they have purchased and are entitled to.
- Respond positively and professionally to customer’s complaints, analyse the root cause and take necessary steps to eliminate process, system and procedure failures that lead to internal and external customer dissatisfaction
- Ensure internal and external customer complaints and queries are addressed and resolved within agreed SLAs
- Manage escalated issues to enable issues to be resolved within agreed timelines.
- Provide underwriting expertise to product development.
- Participate in risk management, product development and corporate strategy formulation and review.
- Design and maintain a responsive organization structure for the department.
- Manage the day-to-day growth, development, deployment and engagement of the team.
- Recruit, orientate, communicate job expectations, coach, and manage direct reports.
- Monitor the performance of all team members and give on-going feedback to ensure high performance is maintained.
- Facilitate training sessions to build skill and capacity in the operations division.
- Update personal job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional and industry events, meetings and forums.
- Hold full profit and loss responsibilities for the underwriting department.
- Forecast, develop and control the information technology annual operating and capital budgets in line with the strategic plan.
- With the various direct reports schedule expenditure, analyse variances and take corrective actions to address variances.
- 100% adherence to policies, procedures and statutory guidelines.
- 100% updated Enterprise Risk Register for the department.
- Prepare, analyse and present various reports covering underwriting, including key metrics on the performance of portfolios, member on- boarding turnaround times, earned premium/sales premium ratio, error rate in risk premium, loss ratio, etc trends and performance; etc.
- Accept/Decline members
- Amend product benefit up to KES10 million before input of product development manager and COO for decision making and input
- Amend underwriting policy, process and procedures within set rules
- Escalation of non-compliance noted within the group.
The following qualifications, knowledge and experience are required of an employee in this role.
- Degree in a business related field. A degree in insurance will be an added advantage
- Higher diploma in insurance ACII
- At least 3 years’ experience working in an underwriting department in a supervisory position
- Excellent knowledge in use of MS office
- IT skills and risk management skills
- Excellent knowledge of insurance IT systems and procedures
- Communication Skills
- Initiative and Confidence
- Achievement Drive
- Business Acumen
If you believe your career objectives match this exciting position, please forward your application and detailed C.V stating your current position, remuneration, contact details by 21st June 2016 to the
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted