The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavors to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi implements the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
Chancellery Secretary – Nairobi
The Chancellery Secretary performs general secretarial duties independently.
He/She drafts and types routine correspondence, agenda keeping and various office work.
He/She has contacts with external interlocutors (Embassies and UN Agencies) and ensures information flow within the Delegation.
- Supports in keeping the Head of Delegation (HoD) and Deputies Head of Delegation (DHoDs)’s contacts updated using the ICRC standard tools (Contact Database).
- Briefs new comers in the absence of main assistant independently and conduct briefing for resident staff
- Manage (update/delete old information) some local databases independently in the system and update general information
- Prepares /Opens the outgoing/ incoming pouches (from GVA & Sub-Sites) and make the distribution
- Maintains Chrono files (fax, bordereaux etc.).
- Attributes in-coming electronic messages to the relevant persons/department from the Somalia Teambox for further action
- Gives the main assistant an input for the Chancellery monthly Activity Report with what he/she doing.
- Performs general secretarial duties (initiation of verbal notes, commercial and diplomatic letters) and acts as focal point for protocol.
- Sending travel requests for the management along with visa requests and follow up.
- Organising transport for HOD and DHoDs for outside meetings.
- Orders business cards for the colleagues both base in Nairobi and Somalia.
- Makes inventories of stock, ensures timely order of stationery stock for SOK Delegation (including ICRC envelopes, Letterheads, Business Cards, etc.) under supervision of the Assistant.
- Preparing security rules, Welcome file for new arrivals, making sure to receive the forms signed and send them to HR.
- Replace main Assistant during her absence and performs minimum responsibilities of the Assistant.
- Support to the main assistant in Information Management issue in SOK Delegation.
- Supports the main assistant in giving feedback each time it is requested and always keeps her updated regarding information management issues.
- Support different departments on correspondence writing, according to ICRC correspondence rules & protocol.
- Provides Lotus Notes training to the new comers under the supervision of the main Assistant whenever necessary
- Supports to the main Assistant on updating various documents, forms, lists, and mail distribution groups
- University degree or professional diploma,
- 3 years work experience in a similar field,
- Fluent in written and spoken English ,
- Very Good computer skills,
- Capacity to apply ICRC rules and procedure,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills,
- Flexible, motivated self-starter personality, sense of responsibility and organizational skills.
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their application to the
Head of Human Resources Department,
ICRC Somalia Delegation,
on the email address email@example.com
Closing date is 16th June 2016.
Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
Note that only emailed applications will be considered.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.