International Organization for Migration (IOM)
I. Position Information
Vacancy Number: IOMKE/CFA/062/2016
Position title: Intern – Staff Travel
Position grade: Internship (remunerated)
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration of Assignment: 6-9 months
Seniority band: n/a
Job family: Core Migration
Organizational unit: Operations
Position number: n/a
Subject to rotation: No
Reporting directly to: Movements Co-ordinator
Reporting directly to: Movements Co-ordinator
Overall supervision by: Operations Officer
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Working under the overall supervision of the Operations Officer, and the direct supervision of the Movements Co-ordinator, the Intern will provide support to the Staff Travel Team.
He/She will work in close consultation with relevant partners and colleagues of the IOM Nairobi Country Office.
In particular he/she will
- Make airline reservations using the Amadeus reservation system in accordance with staff travel regulations.
- Provide efficient service to staff by advising on availabilities, best routings and air fare information as per carriers with which IOM has agreements.
- Confirm bookings with staff and provide detailed itineraries and electronic tickets where applicable.
- Provide relevant information to staff (e.g. vaccination and visa requirements) and update travel logs and reports.
- Maintain and update continuously client files.
- Make entries into IOM data base as required following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Update pre-flight files ensuring all necessary documents are requested for and included in the file.
- Track all staff travel bookings and ensure required information is updated in the various travel management tools.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies:
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Actively shares relevant information
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Basic Knowledge of Computer Reservation System Preferably Amadeus or Galileo
- Basic Fare Search and Quotation Skills.
V. Education and Experience
- Advanced IATA Diploma or equivalent qualifications
- Basic work experience in Airline or Travel Agency.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Good knowledge of Computer skills; MS Office (Outlook, Access and Excel),
- Able to work independently in stressful conditions, dynamic and results driven.
- Must have a Certificate of good conduct.
VI. Personal Development
The incumbent will acquire technical knowledge in the area of airline reservations, and acquire understanding on policies and procedures associated with airline reservations operations from an international organization’s perspective and will gain in-site experience in working in an international multi-cultural environment, with an intergovernmental organization.
Required: Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
Mode of Application
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
and send via e-mail to email@example.com.
Closing Date: 28 June 2016.
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
No Fee: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.