Working under the supervision and guidance of the Supply Chain Coordinator, Deputy Director Operations, and administratively reporting to the Field Coordinator, Kakuma, the IRC Kenya Construction Manager oversees implementation of all construction works being under-taken by the country program.
The position will work closely with all Field Coordinators to ensure quality constructions and liaise closely with the technical coordinators.
- Ensure timely implementation of all aspects of construction components for the IRC Kenya programs
- Create and follow activity and spending plans in transparent manner
- Provide designs for construction/ rehabilitation of construction projects including realistic bills of quantities.
- Obtain all statutory approvals for constructions
- Train health facility staff on maintenance of latrines and waste pits including any other community based projects.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of project activities
- Ensure cross-program integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices from other IRC construction activities
- Undertake and implement basic baseline data and monitoring activities with respect to program activities
- Ensure effective integration and mainstreaming of gender in all programs
- Produce accurate procurement documents for logistics and finance
- Keep accurate records of project materials used for the project and their costs
- Follow all IRC security protocols
- Undertake any other activities as required to fulfil the requirements of IRC programs.
- Administratively and technically supervise construction supervisor and clerk of works where applicable.
- Hire and supervise contractors for all constructions and escalate any challenges in a timely version.
- Work with the field teams to ensure that program designs include quality construction estimates that are implementable;
- Review all reports to ensure that data provided is reliable and accurate based on construction progress.
- Liaise on a regular basis with relevant ministry representatives and other international and national actors in order to ensure effective coordination of all activities
Required qualification / experience & Competencies:
- Diploma or degree in Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying or Construction.
- At least five years of prior professional experience in health and or a water engineering related position
- Experience hiring and overseeing contractors
- Experience in mechanical and electrical maintenance of generators and pumps and water storage structures
- Operational knowledge of Auto CAD or any other engineering software plus Microsoft Office software
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
- Previous work experience with an NGO
- Previous experience working directly with communities and construction contractors.
- Previous experience liaising with government ministries
- Previous work experience in an emergency environment
Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRCrecruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.