Vacancy: Deputy Vice Chancellor, (Academic and Student Affairs)
Kisii University, a leading public institution situated in South-Western Kenya obtained its Charter, in 2013 under the Universities Act 2012.
To give the institution a dynamic and strategic leadership, the University Council invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons with excellent credentials to fill the position of Deputy Vice Chancellor, (Academic and Student Affairs).
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic and Student Affairs) will be in charge of Academic Matters and Student Affairs of the University and should meet the following requirements:
- Have the overall responsibility of direction, organization and administration of learning programmes in the University;
- Co-ordinate teaching, research, extension and provide the necessary support systems needed in all the academic departments and programmes offered by the University;
- Advise Senate in the development of learning programmes, research and extension in conformity with national and international standards and legally recognized professional bodies;
- Co-ordinate student industrial placement, international linkages and promotion of graduate employability;
- Co-ordinate student welfare activities;
- Promote activities that attract and support international students;
- Be responsible to the Vice Chancellor for the general conduct and discipline of students; and
- Any other responsibilities as may be necessary to achieve the University’s strategic objectives.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Be a holder of an earned PhD degree from a reputable university and should be a full Professor or Associate Professor;
- Have at least ten (10) years of academic and research experience with scholarly record demonstrated by publications in internationally peer reviewed journals in their areas of specialization and supervision of Masters and Doctoral students;
- Have served successfully in a Senior Administrative and Management position at the level of a Dean/Director/Deputy Principal of a Constituent College/Principal of a Campus College in a University or in other comparable level(s) for at least five (5) years;
- Have successfully demonstrated competence in administrative and academic leadership in academic, research, knowledge dissemination and extension services;
- Have a successful record of leadership in development and implementation of academic programmes at University level;
- Have excellent understanding of current trends in university education and training globally and the factors and conditions shaping development of university education in Kenya;
- Have excellent and proven organizational, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Show good understanding of University functions and procedures coupled with a passion of promoting learning, excellence in teaching, research and innovation;
- Demonstrate capacity to initiate and facilitate the development of relevant and quality market and society driven academic programmes; and
- Be of highest ethical standards, integrity, accountability and professionalism and comply with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
- Must obtain clearance from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), Ethics and Anti-Corruption (EACC), Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct.
Terms & Conditions of Service
The successful candidate, for the position will be offered competitive remuneration package, including house allowance and other benefits in accordance with the Kenya Government Public Service Guidelines.
The appointments will be for a Contractual Period of five (5) years renewable for a further one term subject to satisfactory performance.
Applicants should submit ten (10) copies of detailed Curriculum Vitae (including academic qualifications, professional experience, academic leadership, publications, awards/scholarships/funding, membership to professional associations and linkages), copies of certificates, e-mail addresses and telephone contacts.
They should also provide names, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three (3) referees.
Applications and referees’ confidential reports on the applicant’s suitability for the post should be sent to the undersigned by courier, registered mail, or hand delivered at the University so as to be received on or before 24th June, 2016.
Applicants should indicate on the envelope the reference number for the position applied for.
Kisii University Council
P. O. Box 408 – 40200
Telephone: 020 261 0479
Kisii University is an equal opportunity employer