Job Ref.: 285666
Department: Litigation & Commercial
Position Reports to: Managing Partner
Position May Accept work from: Other Staff on shared responsibilities.
Position Supervises: May be responsible for assigning, directing, and reviewing the work of other support personnel.
- Gain valuable and real-world legal experience by working alongside advocates during all phases of the litigation process, from the initiation of a case to the discovery period through trial and post-trial findings and appeals.
- To assist advocates in all stages of corporate transactions and with the preparation of documents necessary to comply with legal requirements in the conduct of business activities.
- Maintains court dockets, diaries and Schedules court appearances.
- Keeps check on pending cases to avoid default in filing pleadings.
- Assist advocates in the courtroom by taking notes, handling exhibits, marking documents referred to by advocates and coordinate witness arrival at trial.
- Work with advocates in the preparation and filing of all court documents; create, bind and serve both file and other copies.
- Assembles and organizes briefs, exhibits, appendices and all other supporting documents.
- Attend relevant court registries to file, peruse, obtain copies and fix dates.
- Perform title searches and all necessary due diligence to determine ownership and lien status of properties.
- Ensure the filing of all necessary documents for property transactions.
- Field inquiries and searches from clients regarding various trademark (TM)/copyright/brand protection issues.
- Work with Advocates to oversee filing and maintenance of trademark applications and registrations.
- Conduct preliminary online trademark screening searches, evaluate results and report preliminary opinion to clients regarding availability of mark(s) for use and/or registration.
- Maintain databases and electronic files for trademarks, third-party licensed trademarks, domain names, and opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Prepare summaries and status reports of IP matters and cases for review by Advocates and for clients.
- Assist with due diligence and other intellectual property issues related to contracts, agreements, and other transactional matters.
- (Incorporation and Formation of Entity (corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships):
- Check availability and reserve entity name.
- Perform due diligence searches.
- Effect the legal formation of the entity, including filing organization documents, recording or publishing same, and taking other action required by law.
- Draft and effect filing of various government forms.
- Monitor and report changes in filing, reporting, tax laws or regulations.
- Conduct various document searches and factual research.
- Maintain and oversee the Registry.
- Run searches on internal and external document databases and systems, cull relevant information from a variety of resources. E.G newspapers, magazines etc.
- Act as liaison among various internal departments as well as with outside agencies.
- Oversee the progress of documents through litigation and commercial support departments.
- Serves as resource person to staff in utilizing filing and registry system for projects, on-going information processing, and case management functions.
- Responsible for maintaining a filing system
- Coordinate with Staff on opening the office on or before 8.00AM and closing of office every work weekday.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within resource and time constraints.
- Leadership and people management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of court and administrative hearing rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of legal document filing procedures in the relevant registries.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to apply and follow complex instructions and/or guidelines as appropriate in the performance of support activities.
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations occurring as a result of workloads and/or deadlines.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a legal clerk/assistant.
- Diploma in Law or relevant education.
- Experience in litigation and commercial filing practices and procedures.
- Must be a licensed Process Server.
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact, to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR & THE JOB REF)
If you are not interested in this opportunity today, please refer any friend or colleague you know that might suit the required profile.
Applications NOT MEETING minimum requirements will not be considered.
Note: We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews