The ophthalmic nurse is directly responsible to the Senior Clinical Officer-Ophthalmology and will carry out the following duties:
- The nurse shall work in the eye ward/eye clinic as assigned and shall therefore work as both supervisor and team leader to the ophthalmic assistant/s and auxiliary staff.
- Prepare for and assist the Senior Clinical Officer Ophthalmologist during the ward rounds and whenever required.
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment and procedures are properly carried out and documented on patient’s charts/ files.
- Refer to the OCO/OS on call relevant information such as patient’s status and laboratory results, which would assist in proper clinical management.
- Assist eye patients with activities of daily living while in the ward.
- Arrange and submit weekly ward work schedules and plan daily duties and responsibilities for each staff under their supervision.
- Convene eye ward meetings and attend monthly hospital meetings.
- Escort patient to other referral hospital when necessary.
- Do hospital coverage and on-call duties as required.
- Participate in camp eye health surveys/campaigns.
- Compile and submit quarterly inventory returns/requisitions for all necessary eyedrugs and supplies.
- Conduct regular training session for OAs, auxiliary support staff and CHWs on PEC, basic nursing care and management of various eye ward cases .
- Give eye health education to patients and clients
- Compile and submit monthly reports.
- Monitor and supervise proper consumption of supplies and drugs.
- Maintain equipments in good working condition and submit regular inventory reports of the same.
- Maintain drug registers and oversee drug consumption within the ward and clinicl.
- Ensure that all admissions, discharges, transfers and deaths are properly documented as they occur.
- Report any significant changes in operations to the Senior Clinical officer ophthalmologist.
- Carry out any other additional duties as may be assigned by the supervisor .
- Success-full and orderly startup of eye clinic in Kakuma refugee camp.
- Organization of nursing care services within the allocated eye ward/unit.
- Registered Nurse from recognized nurse training institution
- Higher Diploma in Ophthalmic nursing from a recognized institution.
- Registration with the Nursing Council of Kenya
- At least 2 years working experience in a busy eye hospital/ Clinic setup.
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions
- Sensitive to different cultures.
- Team player
Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.
How to Apply
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.