Save the Children
Position Title: Chief of Party (COP), OVC
Employee Type: Full-Time Regular
Supervisor Title: Country Director
Location: Nyanza / Western Kenya
Summary: Save the Children is seeking an experienced Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID project providing support to orphans and vulnerable children (OVCs) in Kenya.
The Chief of Party (COP) will work with Save the Children’s existing country office in Kenya, but will be solely responsible for overall management of the USAID award.
S/he will provide strategic and operational leadership to develop and implement a successful and integrated multi-sectoral program that builds upon existing USAID and Government of Kenya investment and that will achieve lasting outcomes.
All posts are contingent on the issuance of USAID funding and the selection of applicants is subject to USAID approval.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Impact
The COP will liaise closely with USAID/Kenya, Government of Kenya representatives, Save the Children’s Headquarters and Country Offices, and partner organizations.
The COP will be the principal representative of the project and will ensure adherence to overall technical and programmatic quality in implementation, compliance with USAID rules and regulations, and the timely submission of all deliverables to USAID, including annual work plans, performance monitoring plans, semi-annual reports and annual reports as may be required.
The COP will be responsible for overall direction and coordination of the activities of any sub-recipient partners under this grant.
This key position will report directly to the Country Director. The position will be based in a to-be-determined post in Kenya, and will require travel across the region and to program areas.
Responsibilities will include:
Lead the program’s strategic, financial, and operational planning, including the annual work planning process and development of an appropriate exit strategy.
- Establish and guide overall technical direction of the project.
- Act as principal representative and liaison to all external stakeholders, including but not limited to USAID/Kenya and the Government of Kenya.
- Oversee the timely submission of all deliverables to USAID.
- Provide oversight and coordination with international and national sub-recipient partners.
- Supervise key program staff, both technical and managerial, and oversee the hiring process of all local personnel.
- Serve as key liaison with Save the Children partners and any local sub-grantees.
- Oversee the process of selection of any sub-recipient CSO partners.
- Provide overall coordination of the institutional/organizational and technical capacity building of local partners and stakeholders.
- Ensure that efficient systems to support all aspects of the program (including sub-grant management, financial, capacity building and performance monitoring and reporting) are in place and support the effective use of program resources in compliance with USAID regulations and Save the Children policies.
- Undertake other tasks as needed.
Required Background and Experience, Skills and Behaviors
- Advanced degree in international relations, public health, or related field
- 10-12 years of field-based experience managing large and complex overseas, multi-partner development programs, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience managing large scale USAID funded project(s) at a senior level.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and familiarity with USAID (PEPFAR) policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Experience in managing large child-focused field programs for an international NGO.
- Demonstrated skills in strategic and program planning and understanding of HIV/AIDS-related support services.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership and supervision of staff and teams.
- Familiarity with USAID regulations and policies, with specific understanding of PEPFAR guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Extensive experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa; specific work experience in Kenya desirable.
- Proven experience building capacity of local NGOs and government bodies.
- Proven ability in promoting and collaborating closely with multi-level stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluency in English required.
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. We are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success.
Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves.
As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world’s most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children’s lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact.
As a humanitarian agency, Save the Children is obliged to create and maintain an environment that aims to prevent the sexual exploitation and abuse of children and promote the implementation of its child safeguarding policy.
All representatives of Save the Children – employees, volunteers, interns, consultants, Board members and others who work with children on Save the Children’s behalf – are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents