Program Description: Small and family run retail businesses locally known as “dukas” face a number of challenges in running efficiently, resulting in less than optimal profits for the entrepreneurs that run them.
Since January 2016, TechnoServe has been working to increase the profitability of 840 high-potential mom and pop shops in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties & responsibilities
The Business counsellors will be responsible for the following duties:-
- Provide support in achievement of deliverables under the program, including specific outputs and outcomes laid out the program proposal.
- Support in conducting the baseline survey for the program
- Identify, vet and select the dukas
- Deliver formal training in; Business management, financial management, merchandising, digital technology solutions and supply chain management
- Conduct a one on one coaching with duka owners to enhance coordination and collaboration with each other
- Work closely with duka owners to form business associations
- Work closely with the Associate Business advisor to ensure program deliverables are met.
- Draft timely and concise reports on project implementation and share best practices and lessons learned from the project
- Ensure program monitoring and evaluation and reporting for project
- Through critical review of project activities in the field, work with the ABA to eliminate risks that may hinder effective implementation of the Project
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders including, government ministries, private sector companies, financial institutions, business associations, and academic institutions;
- Maintain project work plan, action plans and ensure timely project implementation
- Understand, respect and promote TechnoServe’s values, vision, and strategy in the implementation of assigned duties
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1- 2 years’ experience of consulting/working with Micro- businesses in Nairobi
- Conversant with recent trends in the retail industry in the country
- Strong and demonstrable report writing skills
- Experience working with communities living on less than $2 a day
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills a must
- Willingness to travel frequently in the informal settlements
- Proficiency in MS Office especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Training experience will be an added advantage
Submit your application by email to email@example.com marking the subject as “2259”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2259, Barack Obama, 07xxxxxxxxx.
Please include the following in your application;
(1) cover letter describing your interest
(2) curriculum vitae
(3) three years’ salary history
(4) telephone contacts of three professional referees.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf). Applications will be treated confidentially. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 17th June 2016