Job Title: Assistant Country Director – Kenya
Employer: Village Enterprise
Industry: Nonprofit / International Development / Social Entrepreneurship
Function: Supervise Regional Staff, taking on Country Director Responsibilities as needed
Duration: Two years commitment with opportunity to extend
Job Location: Kitale, Kenya
Reports to: Country Director – Kenya
Start Date: ASAP
About the Job: Village Enterprise seeks a dynamic and passionate individual to take on the Assistant Country Director (ACD) role for Kenya Operations.
The ACD role provides direct oversight and management of the Field Coordinators (FCs), represents Village Enterprise’s interest at the regional and government level, and must be able to take on Country Director responsibilities when he/she is not present.
Village Enterprise seeks a highly dynamic, technically capable and strong leader to take on the ACD role.
The organization prides itself on supportive, positive management, and the ACD is core to this culture within Village Enterprise.
Operation Management: 70%
Manage Kenya Field Coordinators
- Monitor weekly work-plans and schedules
- Visit, spot check and support FCs during their weekly field activities
- Meet weekly with the FCs to incorporate field feedback to the Management Team
- Provide support to the FCs during biweekly meetings, mentoring Business Mentors as needed and providing information from management
- Report on FC performance to the Field Management Team
- Monitor and Report on staff performance to ensure that they deliver a high quality program; provide annual reviews to all BMs that include a written performance appraisal, and ensure that objectives identified in these reviews are achieved in a timely manner
Assist with other Functional Teams
- Support the Country Director, F&A, M&E teams as needed
- Represent Village Enterprise at conferences, events and at the government level when needed
- Assist with roll-out of new activities, processes and procedures from functional teams
Manage all Disbursements
- Coordinate with Field Coordinators to identify timing and scheduling of disbursements
- Handle logistics for procurement of funds and transportation to the field during the disbursement period
- Provide reporting to the F&A team on disbursements and any grants that go unfunded
Partnership Management: 10%
- Represent Village Enterprise at Stakeholders meetings
- When needed, take on leadership role with partners and program management
- Coordinate with Management staff on partnership development, opportunities and strategic direction of the organization
- Provide weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports as needed and upon request.
- Identify tools, resources, and best practices to help improve the program and document
- Manage relationships with partners (as needed) to maintain clear communication, smooth operations and strong working relationships
- Provide management oversight and leadership, in cooperation with the East Africa Regional Director, Country Directors, and field staff, in Kitale, Kenya; Soroti and Hoima, Uganda
- Assist with Performance Reviews of Field Coordinators and Business Mentors, in association with the HR Officers
- Participate and contribute to Management Team Meetings
- Assist in general operations as needed
- University degree or equivalent in development, program management, international development or other relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum three years working in management of development programs for an international organization.
- Excellent capacity building, team building/management, and coordination skills. An ability to delegate responsibilities effectively and coach and mentor staff.
- An ability to work in challenging and changing environments, and to see through challenges to find solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to exercise diplomacy and tact as demonstrated in previous roles that required communication with a broad and diverse set of partners.
- Experience in dealing with a diverse group of stakeholders representing government, external partners, and others.
- Computer literate and proficient
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili a must.
Email cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject line: “Assistant Country Director Kenya Application”.
Applications are on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
In your cover letter, please make sure to include where you found the job posting.
Note: Please do not contact Village Enterprise to enquire as to the status of your application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.