ZanaAfrica Group Limited
Position: Production Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time Employee – 12 Month Contract
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications
Reporting Structure: Chief Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
About ZanaAfrica: ZanaAfrica is a social enterprise headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya that provides dignity and inspiration for women and girls to live their purpose through sanitary pads and related products.
We envision a future where girls in East Africa live healthy, safe, informed lives while defining their own purpose—a world in which menstrual health management is recognized as a human right, and the onset of puberty as the most effective time to engage girls in a range of personal health decisions.
Our business arm maintains a portfolio of high quality sanitary pad products and brands designed for and by East Africa women.
Our non-profit arm innovates scalable, engaging health education solutions that, together with our pads, deliver comprehensive menstrual and reproductive health support.
Together, we leverage the best of the private and non-profit sectors to equip women and girls with the support they need to define their purpose and live the life they choose.
About the Role: ZanaAfrica Group is building a powerful movement for girls and women in Kenya by delivering awesome feminine hygiene products coupled with the critical, relevant, and engaging information girls and women need and seek to make informed decisions.
We’re looking for an experienced, thoughtful, and dynamic Production Director who will oversee the development of trans-media health education platforms, with a focus on producing the first teen magazine in Kenya targeting girls between the ages of 10-14.
Nia Teen Magazine and its corresponding SMS Platform will deliver accurate, referable, and responsive health information that girls seek and need through engaging content that celebrates real girls’ stories and highlights girl-created content.
The magazine and SMS platform are designed for knowledge retention, behavior change and to encourage social capital for girls in our target audience. Both will be tested as part of a ground breaking randomized control trial starting in 2017 to understand the role of sanitary pad provision and health education in girls’ educational attainment and well-being.
The Production Director will be a key player on the magazine team, ensuring that project deliverables are being met and working closely with a highly talented Creative Team who develop and generate high quality content.
This is a highly cross-functional role for someone who is analytical, energetic, creative and unafraid to roll up his/her sleeves, with a demonstrated passion for girls’ and women’s rights and well-being.
Production Cycle Management for Nia Teen Magazine
- Lead and oversee Nia Teen Magazine production cycles to ensure deadlines are met for termly distribution of the magazine in line with grant funding deliverables
- Ensure, alongside the Creative Director, all deliverables are met for completion of the magazine, including content mapping and creation, illustration and aspect creation, copy-editing, design and visual layout
- Coordinate content plan with the Editor while getting buy-in and approvals from relevant team members
- Manage and coordinate the review and sign off process across the Brand and Content components
- Lead procurement along with Creative Director and Chief Finance Officer of high-quality and Value for money printing partners
- Forecast hiring needs and onboard and support new positions for team when needed
Oversee SMS Product Development
- Oversee and strategize the SMS platform development with the Connectivity Manager and Girl-Content Team to ensure the development of a girl-facing SMS platform that works harmoniously and responsively to magazine content
- Co-manage Connectivity Manager in his/her day-to-day development of the SMS platform
Build Partnerships for scalable and sustainable distribution
- Ideate, model, and test distribution strategies for magazine and SMS platform with the Chief Marketing + Branding Officer; contribute to establishing visibility of Nia Brand throughout Kenya
- Develop and maintain relationships with distribution partners
- Optimize physical attributes of magazine and included features (size, folding, perforation, etc.) for scale
Qualifications + Requirements
- Bachelors in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Writing, or related field, or relevant work experience
- 6-7 years of experience in creative industry and/or media-based education; experience in print production/publishing is highly preferred
- 3-4 years of project management and/or production traffic management experience; previous experience working with creative teams is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Kiswahili, including the ability to articulate creative concepts to team
- Strong planning and organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Previous experience in partnership development is a plus
- Well-versed in women and girls’ issues, reproductive health and human rights
- Versatility and a team-player attitude is a must; we are a small, collaborative, fastly evolving team
- Strong foundation in design; well versed visual sensibility
- Unapologetic belief and passion for girls and women’s rights and potential
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is highly preferred
- Fluent Kiswahili is a must
- Ability to conceptualize creative direction and curate creative output is an added plus
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Actual salary will be dependent on qualification and anticipated contribution to the company.
ZanaAfrica Group is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization.
Culture: We’re a small group of bold, smart, dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds who are passionate about changing the landscape for girls and women.
We’re a tight knit team of big thinkers and dreamers who are constantly pushing ahead, innovating, and moving fast to have the greatest impact. Join our team and be a part of building a groundbreaking and exciting movement.
ZanaAfrica values girls and women’s’ right to choice in their reproductive health management, including access to family planning and abortion services.
Any hired candidate will be expected to represent such values internally and to external partners.
To apply, please include the position title and your name in the subject line of the email and send your CV, Cover Letter and a writing sample in PDF format to email@example.com along with a link to your LinkedIn profile.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATIONS NOT IN PDF FORMAT WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis