CI’s strategy is to serve as a trusted advisor to decision makers at all levels to help societies establish healthy, sustainable economies that secure nature’s ability to provide enduring human well-being.
- We innovate to identify and implement practical and effective solutions to problems. This innovation takes place throughout the organization and relates to all aspects of CI’s work including science, field implementation, policy, markets, partnerships, etc.
- We promote healthy, sustainable economies to achieve those impacts
- We demonstrate these impacts throughout CI geographies
- We work through global agents of change, the major partners that help us amplify and achieve global impact
Summary: The Finance / Accounting Coordinator is responsible for performing a range of accounting and financial-related duties under the direction of a Finance Manager or other senior Finance staff.
Duties include reviewing and processing financial transactions which may include invoices, journal entries, petty cash, travel advances, payroll etc.
The Finance/Accounting Coordinator assists in responding to staff queries, trains new employees and otherwise provides support for the efficient handling of financial transactions. S/he acts as a liaison with division and HQ finance staff to ensure financial best practices are in place and followed.
This position does not manage staff. Duties are performed under general direction and subject to general review.
- Review and process invoices, financial transactions, and recurring/non-recurring journal entries.
- Review transactions for completeness, accuracy and proper documentation and approvals prior to processing.
- Review for compliance with CI policies and donor/partner requirements.
- Post transactions to the general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Reconcile subsidiary, general ledger and related financial accounts.
- Work with senior finance staff and/or HQ Finance to resolve differences.
- Monitor and project cash and expenses balances.
- Work to ensure the timely closing of accounting periods.
- Prepare donor and external partner statements and reports for management review.
- Assist with the annual budget process as directed.
- Assist management in responding to internal/external audit questions and requests for information.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- This position does not manage staff but assists less-experienced peers.
- Not responsible for managing an individual budget or public or private funds but reviews for compliance with CI policies and external partner/donor agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA. 2 to 4 year experience accounting or related work experience. Fund accounting experience preferred.
- Familiar with accounting principles, processes, and standards.
- Experience with accounting and financial reporting systems and software.
- Strong Microsoft Excel and analytical skills.
- Attention to detail, highly organized, ability to prioritize and multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude, service focus, and work independently and as part of a diverse team.
- Foreign language fluency a plus.
- Typical office environment. May need to work beyond normal work hours to meet reporting deadlines.
- No travel expected.
- This position will be based in Nairobi/Kenya, applicants will need to have the ability to live and work there.
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
- Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
- Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
- Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.