The mission of the Humanitarian Leadership Academy is to enable people around the world to prepare for and respond to crises in their own countries.
The Projects Manager function will provide leadership, support, and coordination for all the Academy Centre-supported projects, ensuring timely implementation of activities and consistency with the Academy’s strategic goals.
This includes the direct management of day to day operations of the projects, ensuring that the support needs for the projects are identified and addressed, reviewing and monitoring work plan execution, and producing monthly and quarterly reports.
Specifically the post holder will:
- Manage projects for the Kenya Academy Centre (including projects in Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and any other countries in the region)
- Identify programmatic needs for the consideration of key stream leads in the learning, capacity building, knowledge management and other programmatic areas
- Propose solutions and manage projects to a high level of effectiveness
- Ensure that all Academy projects are executed seamlessly and within the acceptable timelines.
- Leads project planning and oversees the development and execution of project deliverables, budgeting, action plans and monitoring processes.
- Manages and motivates the project team and solves issues related to project schedules and delivery.
- Develops and submits activity, progress, financial reports on a regular basis to the Academy Centre Director.
- Reviews and ensures monitoring and evaluation activities and reporting meet internal and external standards, and are completed on schedule.
- Organizes training, networking and other events and activities to achieve high levels of project management.
- Works with the Academy Centre Director to ensure close collaboration with donors, cooperating partners, consultants and volunteers to guarantee smooth implementation of the project and successful outcome of the project.
- Represents the Academy Centre to NGO partners, government agencies, funding sources, other partners, beneficiaries, and at conferences and other outreach opportunities
- Maintains relationships with current and potential funding sponsors and networks with other NGOs in order to create a network of collaborators and partners in which capacity and experience-sharing can occur.
- Responsible for implementing activities in accordance with project or activity budgets.
- Consults with Academy Finance Officer regarding best practices for financial administration of project work.
- Develops and monitors the grant agreements and sub-agreements for project partners
- A degree in development, sociology or Project Management (Master’s Degree level will be an added advantage)
- At least five years professional experience in Program or project management support in humanitarian operations, development work and/or commercial sector expertise.
- Knowledge in disaster risk reduction (DRR) and emergency preparedness/mitigation
- Understanding of contexts and challenges in DRR in East Africa.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong research, training and presentation skills (with development and business professionals, as key audience of training).
- Excellent IT skills
- Proven experience of budget management and delivering programs against budgets
- Experience of grantee and Donor funded programs
- Knowledge and ability to employ new project management technologies and performance measurement.
- Proven leadership skills
- Ability to present the most complex data in a clear and simple manner.
- Highly output orientated and attention to detail
- Established communicator, good networker and constantly collaborative in approach.
- Highly organized approach to work with proven ability to plan ahead and manage multiple priorities
The Humanitarian Leadership Academy
P.O. Box 43706-0010
email@example.com copied to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th July 2016.
We are looking for people who not only have the required skills and experience but who also fit our culture, based on our organizational values. Applicants for these positions should also have the right to work in Kenya.