Position: Data Associate
Location: Nairobi or Kisumu
Location: Nairobi or Kisumu
Report To: Senior Data Coordinator
Eligibility: Position open to local and international candidates
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers – the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world – we design and evaluate potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Data department: The Data Department supports IPA Kenya projects to collect process and manage their survey data.
The Data Department does this directly by programming computer assisted interviews (CAI), conducting data entry of paper surveys and cleaning data. It also works indirectly by assisting and training project staff to complete these tasks themselves.
At all times, the Data Department adheres to high standards of data security and management to ensure the proper handling of sensitive respondent information.
Data Associate: The Data Associate will work closely with project staff to plan and execute high quality data collection as well as ensure good data security and data management measures are in place.
In addition to supporting projects in general, the Data Associate may be assigned to specific projects as a ‘back-stop’ in case of projects with more intense support needs.
Specific duties will include:
- Design smooth, functioning and timely data flow between various project activities according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Use Stata to: process and clean data, prepare data quality assurance measures.
- Develop data collection instruments for computer-aided interviews (CAI using ODK, Blaise, and Survey CTO), phone surveys and field-based paper surveys. When necessary, hire and manage contractors to program CAI surveys.
- Coordinate and supervise data entry and ensure that data entry and security protocols are adhered to.
- Back-stop assigned projects by providing close day-to-day data managerial support.
- Train IPA staff on technical topics including Stata and SurveyCTO as well as data security and data management.
- Participate in external partners’ trainings on impact evaluations methodology, data management, and other technical skills.
- At all times guard sensitive respondent data with the utmost care.
- Bachelors, preferably in IT, statistics or related discipline.
- Strictly not less than 2 years’ of consistent experience in survey programming, data analysis and/or data management.
- Extensive knowledge of quantitative data collection and a passion for learning best practices and innovations.
- Extensive knowledge of Stata is required, knowledge of SurveyCTO is preferred.
- Strong organizational and communications skills.
- Attention to detail, ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work effectively as part of a team.
To Apply: Click here – https://poverty-action.formstack.com/forms/data_associate
Deadline to Apply: 31st July 2016
Start Date: 1st September 2016
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Data Associate. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.