Field Officer (Direct Observations) – Strengthening People – Centred Accessibility, Respect and Quality (SPARQ) Project
Position: Field Officer (Direct Observations)
Deadline to Apply: 15th July 2016
Start Date: 11th August 2016
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
About the project: Mistreatment of women during childbirth has been gaining increasing attention in the developing world, including in Kenya, but less is known about women’s experiences of abuse when seeking family planning services and post-abortion care in this setting.
The primary research objectives of this research is to better understand and measure person-centered care for childbirth, family planning, and abortion/post-abortion care, and also to use this information to inform the development of interventions aimed at improving women’s experiences during care at the facility.
This study focuses on facilities near periurban Nairobi, Kenya.
The Field Officers will work closely with the Assistant Field Manager and other study staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Conduct direct observations at health facilities
- Ensure health providers and patients feel comfortable and that their confidentiality is protected
- Adhere to protocol during all study activities
- Assist in organizing materials in readiness for field work and transcription
- Translating and transcribing, as needed
- Debrief with team after interviews
- Ensure data integrity is maintained at all times
- Other duties related to project implementation and administrative tasks as needed
The commitment sought for this position is less than 1 month.
Applicant must be willing to live in Nairobi depending on the project needs during the project period.
IPA is seeking candidates who meet the following requirements:
- A university degree required, degree in social sciences preferred
- If no degree, diploma holders required to have at least 3 years of experience
- Experience conducting participatory observation strongly preferred
- Clinical experience strongly preferred
- Excellent verbal communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Well organized, detail-oriented, excellent listening skills, and comfortable discussing sensitive issues
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer (Direct Observations)-SPARQ. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.