Overall Purpose: The Data Operations Lead will be responsible for overseeing the design, development and use of data systems. The person in this position will discover efficient ways to organize, store, analyse and visualise data.
ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of databases, data
analysis procedures and be competent in managing data projects.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments. This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of January 2016 M-KOPA employs over 700 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
- Oversee key data projects to improve the team’s data reporting and business intelligence capabilities
- Drive analytical work streams that lead to useful insights to support key decision-making processes
- Develop and manage weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting both internally and externally
- Build and maintain advanced SQL scripts to aid in business reporting
- Devise and implement efficient procedures for data handling and analysis
- Continuously evaluate and suggest new ways of improving efficiency
- Explore and derive meaningful insights from various data sources that would lead to significant revenue generation and or cost-cutting
- Create and enforce policies for effective data management
- Formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure data accuracy and integrity
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing with upper management, business users, external stakeholders
- Seek to improve individual and team’s data extraction and analytical capabilities
- Improve individual and team’s proficiency in data extraction and business intelligence tools such as SQL, Excel and Power BI
- Quantitative degree in Math, Computer Science, Statistics or equivalent
- At least 3 years in a data position with significant project management experience
- Working knowledge of data administration and management functions collection, analysis and distribution using MS SQL Server, Power Query and TSQL
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies
- Ability to communicate efficiently using PowerPoint and other visualization tools
- An analytical mind set with problem-solving skills
Please Note: M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.