Job Title: Senior Product Manager
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of January 2016 M-KOPA employs over 700 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Senior Product Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Start: As soon As Possible
Reporting to: Director – Market Development
- Work in a global cross-functional team with engineering, operations, finance, and the commercial team through the complete product development cycle.
- Manage the process used to define a product’s hardware and commercial features.
- Evaluate new technologies and make recommendations to pursue in future products.
- Collect customer and company requirements for future product development.
- Manage tradeoffs involving features, schedule, cost, pricing, line positioning, and lifecycle management.
- Assist in the development of new products.
- Make pricing and forecasting recommendations to management and cross-functional teams.
- Position the product in relation to other products and the competition.
- Work closely with the marketing team.
Requirements / Specification
- 3+ years Product Management experience having managed at least one entire product development cycle from concept to introduction.
- Experience working closely with engineering/technical/credit teams from an in-bound marketing perspective.
- Experience in hardware/software or consumer electronics preferred.
- Strong commercial skills required.
- Requires strong oral and written communication skills, as well as demonstrated success as a product spokesperson.
- Must have experience formulating product messaging and creating outbound marketing.
- Requires experience in formulating Market Requirements
- Regional role – requires travel.
Remuneration: Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject EV-SPM-2081
Deadline for application is 5pm on Sunday 7th August, 2016.
Please Note: M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||