Web Content Intern is responsible for creating and/or acquiring content
for the intranet websites, e-mail newsletters and other online
communications media such as blogs.
extended to include some technical or creative responsibilities (such as
website re-design, re-structuring, migration/importation of content to
the Intranet, training team champions and improving user experiences)
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
As of January 2016 M-KOPA employs over 700 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
The Nature of Online Content: Online content can take many forms, including plain text, links, database content, still images (illustrations, photographs, diagrams), animation, audio, video, interactive devices (forms, forums, chat rooms, polls, questionnaires, etc.).
- Contribute to audience research as a basis for design of the site.
- Contribute to the top-level and detailed design of the website (or e-newsletter, etc.), with a particular focus on the ways in which the goals for the site and the needs of users can be met through the provision of appropriate content.
- Contribute to the process of information design, to ensure that content is appropriately structured to meet the goals for the site and the needs of users.
- Contribute to documentation of the design.
- Schedule the creation/acquisition of content in accordance with editorial policy.
- Allocate tasks to additional content contributors in different teams.
- Manage the creation/acquisition of content in accordance with the schedule.
- Manage costs within agreed budgets for promotional activities.
- Prepare textual content for Intranet websites (including feature articles, advertising copy, database content, links, FAQs, etc.).
- Prepare textual content for e-newsletters.
- Design web forms where necessary.
- Prepare textual content for distribution as SMS messages.
- Specify the multimedia content needed to support or work alongside textual content.
- Locate and select appropriate, existing multimedia content, including still images, animations, music and video.
- Liaise with multimedia specialists in the creation of any new multimedia content.
- Edit copy received from additional content contributors.
- Use metadata and other methods to optimize search engine positions.
- Communicate with other site owners in order to maximize incoming links.
- Respond to user enquiries, comments and suggestions.
- Moderate forums.
- Edit and/or approve content contributions made by users.
- Update and maintain time-sensitive material.
- Maintain menus, indexes and directories within the intranet site collection.
- Archive and backup content (where this is not automatic)
- Conduct or commission ongoing audience research.
- Compile and analyze website usage statistics.
- Obtain and analyze user feedback.
- Recommend changes in editorial policy and site design.
- Currently enrolled in an Undergraduate Program (Preferably Marketing, Communication, Corporate Communication, Communications Business Management or an IT related field) or relevant work experience in online marketing, communications or web content management will be an advantage.
- Relevant professional certifications are a plus.
- Experience working with SharePoint Online or other content management systems is a plus.
- Technology savvy and a quick learner with strong attention to detail.
- Collaborative and positive attitude are a must.
- Team player, able to work with various personalities.
- Ability to work independently and participate in multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
- Must be fluent in English both spoken and written. Swahili is a plus.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject EV-WCI-2086
Please Note: M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.