WASH Assistant – Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion
Ref. nr.: 3158299219
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Main purpose of the position is to ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the WASH activities in Kalobeyei.
- Supervise the construction and rehabilitation of latrines, drainage and other relevant Sanitation facilities ensuring that the constructions are of the highest quality and as per specified technical drawings.
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services specifically Latrines and Hand washing facilities.
- Prepare material estimates for construction and repair of WASH facilities.
- Coordinate and supervise construction of assigned WASH infrastructures by providing instructions and site supervision to contractors and consultants.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities in the assigned refugee camps under guidance of the WASH Officer.
- Supervision of all sanitary installations including latrines, pits, drainage systems and dome slab/lid constructions.
- Ensure quality control of all Sanitation activities – travel regularly to all the NRC construction sites assessing construction and M&E procedures.
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
- To carry out community mobilization of all WASH activities.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
- Identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Supervise Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion activities and resources so that they are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations.
- Train and manage incentive workers (Hygiene promoters, Vector control team, sanitation cleaners, etc ) including performance appraisal with guidance of the WASH Officer.
- Ensure the maintenance and proper care of all the tools and equipment used in the construction of WASH facilities
- Request for services and good in the Agresso in consultation with the WASH officer-Sanitation and Hygiene
- Technical background in Public Health or Community Development, Bachelors degree in environmental health or Diploma from recognized intuition in Kenya, Extensive experience may substitute for specific qualifications but not vice versa.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes of at least 2 year’s experience in a humanitarian and development programme.
- Experience in construction of latrines and concrete works is essential.
- Experience in participatory sanitation and hygiene approaches or methodologies
- Proven ability of MS packages and other technical software will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
- Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential; fluency in Turkana or Kiswahili is highly desirable.
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc)
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Commencement as soon as possible
- Duty station : Kalobeyei
- Duration of contract 1 year with possibility of Extension
- Salary/benefits according to NRC general directions. The candidate will observe NRC’s Code of Conduct and working hours for the NRC Kakuma office.
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: WASH
- Role: Assistant
Deadline for application: 10/08/2016