The ideal candidate will be an experienced, thoughtful and influential development leader, with passion, charisma and credibility.
Candidate Specification: Practical Action is looking for an experienced, passionate, committed leader with the drive to deepen and widen the impact of our work across the East Africa region.
Education: Master’s Degree in development studies, management, economics, social sciences or relevant fields.
- 10+ years of direct experience in the development field, with at least 5 years’ experience in a senior management / leadership role, preferably in East Africa.
- Experience of developing and leading the achievement of ambitious but viable strategies.
- Proven track record of managing multi-million pound programmes and operations ensuring effective, efficient and timely delivery that is compliant with internal and external requirements and accountable to communities.
- Proven track record of leading portfolio growth, pro-actively pursuing funding opportunities and guiding the development of successful, high quality proposals from diverse sources.
- Experience of building relationships and strategic partnerships with diverse donors, partners, government, the private sector, research institutes, media and communities to support and enhance programme impact.
- Proven, dynamic and inclusive leadership skills and capabilities
- Proven track record of catalyzing support and engagement for positive change processes, whether that is for improving organisational effectiveness or influencing policy decision-makers.
- Strong representational, outreach, networking and external relations capacities
- Excellent knowledge / understanding of the East Africa context, the development challenges, the opportunities and the potential for innovation
- Excellent people management skills – managing, motivating and mentoring a team of professionals, promoting a culture of excellence, accountability and high performance.
- Ability to listen and learn from others and a good sense of humour.
- Very good skills in financial oversight, ensuring compliance, and maintaining financial viability.
- Able to adapt to different ways of working and to calibrate messages for different audiences.
- Proven ability to make timely, appropriate decisions, in a thoughtful way, including tough decisions.
- Ability to strategically prioritise balancing ambition and effective use of resources.
- Skills and/ or interest in working at a global level as part of the SLT and with a Board of Trustees
- An excellent team player who embodies the organisations values.
- Excellent communicator – verbal and written English and, preferably, at least one regional language
Please apply through Oxford HR at http://oxfordhr.co.uk/job/regional-director-eastern-africa-region/#page.