Purpose: How does this post support the Organisation’s strategy and mission?
This role will ensure compliance with the organizational policies and procedures as well as adherence to donor regulations, besides ensuring that there is a sound internal control environment.
Dimensions of Role: The post holder will report to the Risk & Compliance Manager, the Organisation in Kenya.
- Reliable day-to-day records
- Compliance with the policies, plans, procedures, laws and regulations
- The safeguard of the organisation’s assets
- Economical and efficient use of resources
- Accomplishment of organisation objectives
- Operation of the most effective on-going controls
- Operational, financial reporting and compliance objectives
- Effective Risk Management
- Minimal cases of waste, fraud, peculation, avoidable loss and petty thievery.
- Completion of audit and other assignments within cost and time budgets and to set standards of work.
- Monitoring the progress of completion of actions in the Risk Management system including audit action list and providing updates to the Risk & Compliance Manager.
- Continual follow up with all the Risk owners and Control owners across the Organisation in Kenya and through guidance of the Risk & Compliance Manager to ensure that the risks in the system and their corresponding controls are updated on an ongoing basis including inclusion of new risks and controls monitoring
- Follows up with all the users in the Risk Management system to ensure that the risks and controls and signed off prior to the deadline of quarterly reporting deadline
- Capacity building and strengthening risk management and compliance
- Prepare draft audit assignment plans for approval by the Risk & Compliance Manager.
- Conduct in-depth and spot check audits to determine the existence, adequacy and extent of compliance with financial, accounting and operating policies, procedures and controls in all areas affecting operations.
- Review and report on financial and operating systems that ensure that organization assets are safeguarded and organization procedures are carried out economically, efficiently and effectively.
- Perform audit procedures outlined in the audit programs as agreed with the Risk & Compliance Manager and documented in the approved plan.
- Discuss all findings and recommendations with the auditee and prepare a draft report to be presented with the audit file for review by the Risk & Compliance Manager.
- Assist in the update of detailed audit programs.
- Carry out all assignments in a timely and cost effective manner ensuring adherence to standards at all times.
- Continually review to ensure that the grant management activities are in compliance with the key controls contained in the grant management guidelines of the Organisation in Kenya & donor regulations with the guidance of the R&CM
- Keeps track and records of the Grants Audits/Donor audits schedules and coordinates to ensure that the audits are done within agreed timelines and Grants Audit reports issued to the donors within stipulated time
- Maintains proper files and records of all donor grants audit reports and internal assessment reports
- Carry out periodic pre-audits especially on Grants prior to the donor audits of the Grants on a need basis as may be directed by the R&CM. Raise concerns on issues that require addressing before such come to attention of the external auditors.
- Capacity assessment: With guidance of the R&CM, assess the process of selecting new partners, the formation of partnership, review of renewing/expanding existing partnerships, and whether activities of partners are in line with what has been agreed
- Assesses compliance with the partnership guidelines of the Organisation in Kenya
- For purchase of goods and services, assesses compliance with the key controls regarding authorization, selection of suppliers, and acknowledgement of receipt of goods purchased
- Control over travel policies including travel advance payments
- Conducts unannounced checks on petty cash handling from time to time
- Conduct field assessments across all the Organisation in Kenya Program Units from time to time to assess the level of compliance with the existing controls
- Perform checks on the Organisation in Kenya motor vehicle/motor bikes management to ensure that these are managed in accordance with the existing policies
- Review compliance with the key controls contained in the operations manual and the Organisation in Kenya guidelines regarding fixed assets and inventory
- Carry out any other internal assessments as may be directed by the R&CM
Professional: CPA finalist or equivalent
Experience: Three years’ experience in the finance, audit department of a service organization, preferably not-for-profit organization and proven practical skills in Risk Management
- A person of resilience and patience able to perform well under pressure.
- Proven sobriety and integrity.
- Inquisitive and analytical.
- Able to be a pro-active and positive team member capable of diplomatic and confidential communication.
Level of Contact with Children: Medium contact – Occasional interaction with children
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the set criteria should submit their applications together with their CVs including contact details, current and expected remuneration to be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject as “Risk & Compliance Coordinator”