At Siginon Group, our determination to achieve our vision of being Africa’s world class logistics company is the driver of everything we do.
We are proactively designing systems and processes that ensure operations excellence and peace of mind for our customers.
Block by block, we are building a team of Qualified, Motivated, Competent and Energized individuals with a Winning culture to drive this vision.
It’s with this in mind that we announce the following vacancy based at Siginon Corporate Office, Mombasa.
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Siginon Group Finance Director, the job holder will contributes to the overall company strategy by proactively managing and developing a progressive legal and regulatory agenda that is in line with the business objectives.
- Liaise with external Advocates for all matters filed against the company including litigation filed by or against the companies in Kenya to ensure that there is no unnecessary exposure from such suits: receive all summons served on the company and engage appropriate representation after consultation with all the necessary stakeholders and with input from Finance Director and Group HRM for labour related issues.
- Ensure follow up on all external counsel appointed to represent the company to make sure that their service levels are at agreeable levels.
- Ensure that there is company representation at all cases coming up for hearing in which the company requires to give evidence in Kenya and for Tanzania, work closely with the General manager and Company Secretary to ensure legal compliance are at the correct levels.
- Maintain a database of all open cases against the companies in Kenya and Tanzania and those filed by the company and ensure this is always up to date and review this database regularly to close those filed on which the cases have been closed, specifically those cases that were open prior for more than 3 years. Provide a quarterly update of case reports to Senior Leadership Team for input to the Board Paper as deemed necessary.
- Maintain a view on all the costs incurred by the company in litigation costs with a view to carrying out a comparison of this with previous next year’s costs.
- Ensure all judgments entered against the company are satisfied as appropriate, either by the company or by the insurance company that covered the loss.
- Manage the drafting, review and execution of contracts entered into on behalf of the company to ensure compliance with legal and other regulatory requirements as well as the company’s authority schedule and procurement policy.
- Ensure all supply contracts are negotiated by the management teams are reviewed by legal prior to execution on behalf of the company.
- Ensure all contracts entered into by the company are reviewed before execution and also are as per the published authority schedule.
- Ensure retention of copies of all material contracts entered into on behalf of the company and maintain a database of contracts reviewed by legal in scan version as well as physical copy.
- Management of security and title documentation register for company assets including land, motor vehicles, etc. and to also maintain a database of the issues affecting company property as well as the progress in sale of certain company houses to former employees.
- Partnering with other functions in the business by providing legal advice to the entire business as and when required and working together with them to facilitate smooth execution of business processes.
- Advising on the laws and regulations that affect the companies including changes thereto.
- Management of compliance together with licenses and other authorizations required for continued business of the companies – e.g. trade licenses, regulatory licenses, ensuring compliance across the business.
Education, Professional Qualifications & Work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized University.
- Post graduate diploma in Law.
- Legal Professional Certification/s.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a busy environment preferably in a service industry.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent Planning & Organizing/Work Management Skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent Teamwork/Collaboration ability.
- Proficient computer skills.
How to Apply
If you believe your experience, competencies and qualifications match the job and role specifications described; send your application and detailed CV(with details of at least 3 referees and MUST indicate your current salary on your application) to reach us on or before Friday 22nd July 2016 by email to: email@example.com.