This is an exciting time to join HFH Kenya following its just completed strategic plan. This vacancy announcement is for the position of Market Development Manager to strengthen the team that takes HFHK work and actualization of the strategy to the next level.
Position: Market Development Manager
Job Summary: Reporting to the Head of Programmes, the Market Development Manager will be based in Nairobi and will primarily be responsible for taking lead in facilitating product development and work closely with Financial Services / Cooperatives validate and pilot scalable housing microfinance products in Kenya.
- Developing a market research plan that has the geographical location sample selection and size, tools and the field research schedule.
- Adaptation of tools-We have ready developed research tools that are then adapted to fit the partner context.
- Respondent mobilization-In consultation with Financial Support Providers (FSP) partners ensure that the right respondents are selected and mobilized for research.
- Market research- Field collection of data and consolidation. Majorly conduct qualitative market research using focus group discussion and individual in-depth interviews
- Data consolidation and analysis.
- Report writing- once the report is done it is sent to the Regional project manager and area office/HQ for quality control before it is sent to the partner.
- Presentation of the report to FSP partner senior management.
- Work with FSP product development team to extract product concepts from the research findings.
- Assist the team develop a preliminary and a draft product prototype
- Refine the draft and facilitate its presentation to management for adoption or further refinement
- Ensure that that the product meets the project threshold in terms of needs, preference and affordability to the low income segment.
- Work with the HSS Specialist and the FSP to ensure that there is some good level of HSS (Housing Support Services) embedded to the product.
- Validation –Work with a hired consultation to carry out a validation of the product. My role is to ensure tools are properly adapted, monitor the validation field exercise and review the report as well as present the findings to the FSP.
- Prepare and asses the institutional readiness for pilot implementation by ensuring that key areas are addressed e.g. Pilot objectives, financial projections, systems and procedure adaptations, marketing plan, training of staff especially the field officers on the new product and a pilot launch date.
- Pilot monitoring and Review with the support of M &E team ensure there is pilot monitoring plan, hold monthly monitoring meetings with the partners, client visitation, receive product performance data and prepare monthly reports, midterm and end term pilot reviews to gauge the general level of success as per the objectives and recommend adjustments before roll out.
- Ensure continuous engagement with the institution management especially the product champion both formally and informally. This is to ensure there is consistent buy in and support to the project and also eliminate/or minimize implementation bottle necks.
- Responsible for communication the FSP of any emerging issues within the project as well as act as a feedback channel back to habitat.
- Support implementing partners brand and position HMF product through brand development, concept develop a marketing strategy and positioning plan. Some of the activities will involve hiring a product marketing consultant.
- Participate in learning /sharing opportunities within and without Habitat as might be required.
- Assist in the dissemination of practical knowledge on housing microfinance products to other FSPs in Kenya, and to the broader industry.
- Supervise the Housing Support Services Specialist and Product Development Officer to integrate HSS into housing microfinance product under development by the FSPs.
- Number of products developed
- Number of loans disbursed by partners
- Project implementation plan milestones
- Quarterly monthly report that measure planned activities and actual execution
- Feedback from partners and project evaluation
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Finance, Development or related study.
- Professional training/qualifications in microfinance.
- Proven self-initiative and problem solving abilities.
- Good presentation, writing, training, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Good organization planning and analytical skills.
- A minimum of 7 years of working experience in the finance services sector at a management level.
- Conversant with the regulatory framework for the microfinance industry in Kenya
- Project Management Training
- Experience in market research, product development and training.
- Ability to foster relationships with partners.
- Ability to work long and odd hours, including weekends
- High levels of integrity
If you feel you meet the requirements of the position, send your application letter indicating the reference number and quoting your current and expected salary, title of position along with an updated CV and telephone contacts of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org to be received by 13th September, 2016.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HFH Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.