Legal Manager – Litigation and Retail
Ref: IRC 849
The Position: Reporting to the Head, Legal Services, the role is required to manage non-debt recovery cases and court orders served on the Bank and ensure that the Bank’s interests are not prejudiced either before court, in the public domain or business environment.
Additionally, the role is expected to manage legal issues affecting the entire Retail Network with a view to mitigating legal risks and prevent adverse consequences to the Bank.
- Conduct legal research, investigation, collate evidence, preparation of witnesses for pre-trial and hearing, develop concept papers, prepare legal briefs and opinions as well as develop effective defence strategies, arguments and testimony in preparation for legal proceedings of cases in liaison with external lawyers;
- Represent the Bank before any court or tribunal as a witness or to watch brief as necessary;
- Manage and measure external lawyers performance to ensure efficiency;
- Manage litigation costs to a minimum including but not limited to negotiating suitable settlements in favour of the Bank where deemed appropriate;
- Create legal awareness and provide advice to the Bank on suitable courses of action to avert and/or minimize litigation;
- Scrutinize legal fees and ensure the same are raised in accordance with the Remuneration Order;
- Manage the database of all Bank litigation to ensure the same is consistently up-to-date;
- Prepare relevant reports, presentations and analysis of the Bank litigation quarterly and as required by the Board.
For the above position, the successful applicant should have the following:
- University Degree in Law
- Professional qualifications in law
- A master’s degree in Law will be an added advantage.
- At least 6 years’ proven experience in the legal profession, including at least 4 years’ experience in dispute resolution/litigation.
- At least 2 years’ experience in legal drafting
- At least 2 years’ demonstrated experience in legal communication and advocacy.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, problem solving, negotiation skills with the ability to positively and clearly communicate with a variety of constituents.
The above positions are demanding roles which the Bank will provide a competitive package for the successful candidates.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above, please submit your application with a detailed CV, stating your current position, remuneration level, e-mail address and telephone contacts quoting the job title/reference in the subject field to firstname.lastname@example.org .
To be considered your application must be received by 5th August, 2016
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.