We are an international training and consultancy organization offering technical training and education services designed for individuals, and organizations working in the agriculture, climate change and environment; disaster management; education; food and nutrition; health; humanitarian relief; logistics and telecommunication; recovery and reconstruction; safety and security; water sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are looking for mobile app developers to design, develop and maintain mobile apps.
The developers will lead the entire app lifecycle right from concept stage until delivery and post launch support.
The apps will be mainly content based and integrated closely with web sites.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Deliver across the entire app life cycle –concept, design, build, deploy, test, release to app stores and support.
- Conceptualize, build, test and release products.
- Gather requirements around functionality and translate those requirements into elegant functional solutions.
- Build prototypes at tech scoping stage of projects.
- Working with web developers to create and maintain a robust framework to support the apps.
- Create compelling device specific user interfaces and experiences.
- Keep up to date on the latest industry trends in the mobile technologies.
- Explain technologies and solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Attend industry events/ conference – both attending and presenting.
- Protecting operations by keeping information confidential.
Knowledge and skills required
- Proven commercial software development experience – desktop and mobile.
- Published example of mobile application on an App store.
- Excellent knowledge in LBS (Location Based Systems).
- Excellent knowledge in information architecture, human computer interaction and usability design principles.
- A track record of delivering successful consumer and or business products.
- Ability to use analytic data and user testing to inform design decision.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong OO design and programming skills in Java (J2EE/ J2ME).
- Strong USSD skills.
- Familiar with the Android SDK.
- Knowledge of SQLite, MySQL or similar database management system.
- Familiar with Eclipse.
- Understanding of other compiled languages.
- Experience on web service integration (SOAP, REST, JSON, XML).
- Experience of development using web technologies.
- Good understanding of OO programming and design patterns.
- Experience building web and native apps.
- Experience using social media APIs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Writing specifications, designing, building (developing), testing and implementing (installing a program into production) programs.
- Breaking down program specifications into their simplest elements and translating this logic into a programming language.
- Provide innovative solutions to complex business problems, interface with clients and gather business requirements and objectives, translate the clients’ business requirements and objectives into technical applications and solutions.
- Establishing a detailed program specification through discussion with clients, clarifying to clients what actions a program is intended to perform.
- Working as part of a team, which may be established purely for a particular project, to write a specific section of the program
- Testing sample data-sets to check that output from a program works as intended
- Reacting to problems and correcting program as necessary, devising possible solutions to anticipated problems
- Evaluating and increasing program’s effectiveness, adapting program to new requirements if necessary
- Conducting user acceptance testing to ensure a program can be used easily, quickly and accurately
- Writing detailed documentation for the operation of a program by users and computer operators
- Reviewing , updating, repairing, modifying and developing existing IRES information systems
- Customizing existing IRES programs to clients’ needs and specification.
- Presenting ideas for system improvements, including cost and writing prospective proposals
- Maintaining IRES and clients’ systems once they are up and running
- Consulting manuals, periodicals, technical reports, attending seminars and workshops to learn new ways to develop programs, and for continuous improvement of existing skills and knowledge
- A degree in computer science, software engineering or any other related field o
- Any other qualification.
If you meet the above criteria, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 12th September 2016.
Please use the job title as the subject of your application email.