Vacancy: Program Manager – In-Home Toilet Sales and Operations
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life – as small businesses.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training, and marketing. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community.
We convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the by-products to Kenyan farms under the brand name Farm Star.
Since November 2011, we have launched nearly 700 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of more than 300 Fresh Life Operators.
We have collected and converted over 7,000 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 200 people.
For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in Africa.
Background of the Project: Since launching our first toilet, we have diversified our product and service offerings in order to reach an increasing proportion of the residents of the communities we serve.
Creation of our residential and school service delivery models has brought us closer to our goal of reaching everyone, forever. Still, we know there are people we don’t reach.
We continue to strive to reach all residents wherever they are, and whenever they need sanitation. To that end, we have been developing a product and service delivery model for an in-home toilet.
To truly test the size of the market for an in-home toilet, gathering information on customer desires, willingness to pay, and satisfaction with service delivery, we will commence a pilot in which in-home toilets are sold in Nairobi’s
Job Purpose Statement: Sanergy seeks a Program Manager to develop and implement the pilot of our in-home toilet product and service offering.
We are looking for a passionate, process-oriented and skilled operational and people manager with a proven record of developing and implementing sales and operational strategies, analyzing performance against targets and adjusting approaches based on evidence throughout the implementation process.
Reports to: Manager, Future Initiatives
Role & Responsibilities
- Translate lessons learned through research into actionable sales, marketing and operational strategy for in-home toilet product and service offering.
- Design data collection and analysis plan and tools to ensure that an evidence-based decision can be made upon completion of pilot.
- Manage all aspects of sales, operations (including payment collection and waste removal services) and data collection during pilot.
- Analyze data to make evidence-based decisions to operationalize, terminate, or conduct additional research on offering post-pilot.
- Develop strategies for operationalization and scale-up, pending successful pilot.
- Degree in Research, Design or Business related field; Masters degree desirable
- 2-5 years’ work experience, preferably in a developing country context
- Deep understanding of the needs, desires and demands of consumers in Nairobi’s informal settlements, preferably with experience selling products or services in this context
- Track record of managing successful, empowered teams to achieve exceptional results
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Experience working directly with community members in Nairobi’s informal settlements
- Ability to manage day-to-day implementation of projects in the field with desk-based management of project timeline and deliverables
- Background in WASH or another area of innovation in global health or development
- Entrepreneurial spirit – ability to adapt quickly, tendency to view obstacles as opportunities to innovate
- Passion for finding new ways to make affordable sanitation accessible to residents of informal settlements
- Proven ability to work independently to move deliverables forward
A week in the life of the Program Manager might include
- Following up on open leads and finalizing sales
- Accompanying Sales Associate to pitch to potential customers
- In-field coaching of direct reports in supporting ongoing operations for existing customers
- Preparing project updates for dissemination to internal stakeholders on the Sanergy and Fresh Life team
- Responding to emails and holding meetings to ensure direct reports, supervisor and other teammates are aware of and understand all important developments on the project
- Tracking data and monitoring project timeline to allocate resources and plan for the week ahead
- Documenting progress and delays, reasons for success, opportunities for improvement, and plans to incorporate learning
When applying, please use code “443” in the “job code” field.
Application Deadline: 19th August 2016