Introduction: Tinder is a social-enterprise that produces ‘green’ charcoal and livestock feeds using Prosopis juliflora as a feedstock.
The company has recently purchased an advanced wood carbonisation kiln which consists of 2 chambers equipped with flue pipes from heat-resistant steel connected to chimney with deflector and furnace, includes 12 or 16 trolleys depending on kiln variant, platform to move the trolleys, trestle for loading and unloading of raw material and charcoal and an electric winch as well.
Job responsibility: The Technical Supervisor will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the kiln and ancillary equipment.
- Ensure correct, safe and efficient operation of the kiln according to the manufacturer’s operations instructions;
- Using the kiln, produce high quality charcoal:
- Ensure wood is cut to size and efficiently loaded in the trolleys;
- Trolleys are loaded into the carbonisation chamber;
- Fire is lighted safely until wood is dried;
- Pyrolysis commences and takes place adequately;
- Correct temperatures are maintained at each step in the cycle;
- Monitor and adjust critical equipment functions during each stage of operation whilst keeping a log of actions and equipment gauge readings;
- Ensure safe cooling down of charcoal;
- Ensure clean and proper bagging and storage of charcoal produced.
- Minimise equipment down-time;
- Carry out regular cleaning, maintenance and repairs on the machine to ensure it maintains perfect operational capacity;
- Monitor and enforce health & safety procedures for all workers.
- Excellent mechanical, electrical skills, experience and knowledge;
- Relevant engineering degree is an advantage;
- Prior experience operating a kiln, retort, or complex or automated oven or furnace equipment. Prior experience producing charcoal is an advantage;
- Good ability to supervise a small team of workers;
- Ability to speak read and write English;
- Basic computer skills including MS Office and email;
- Driving license (small car and motorbike);
- Hardworking, enthusiastic and self-driven.
Official working hours are 0800 – 1700 daily, and 0800 – 1300 on Saturdays.
Duration: The position is for one year, renewable.
Interested candidates should send their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org