Function of Work: As a Head Waiter / Waitress you are an important member of the team and you will report to the Supervisors.
The Head Waiter will have the most contact with the customer during their dining experience; therefore it is essential that the Head Waiter is polite and courteous when welcoming guests into the dining room, during the service of the meal and must always remember to thank guests when they leave.
- Explains how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods
- Informs customers of daily specials, making recommendations upon request
- Serving & Clearing dishes, making sure the crockery is clean & polished before use
- Assisting in inventory for crockery, cutlery, linens etc for the restaurant
- Assisting customers in all their needs (ie. calling a taxi)
- Be responsible for all work stations and for the uniforms
- Required to attended mandatory training sessions, restaurant meetings and briefing
- Responsible for coordinating entire stations and communicating with front- and back-of-the-house personnel to provide a dining experience that meets or exceeds guest expectations
- Processes guest orders to ensure that all items are prepared properly and on a timely basis
- Present, open, and pour wine when serving guests
- Observes diners to ensure that guests are satisfied with the food and service
- Responds to additional requests and determines when the meal has been completed
- Preparing totals bills and accepts payment or refers guests to cashier
- Assist bus person with stocking, removing, and resetting dishes and silverware between courses and cleaning and resetting tables
- The Head Waiter ensures that restaurant and lounge operate efficiently and profitably while maintaining their reputation and ethos
- Maintaining high standards of food, service, health and safety
- Investigates and resolves food quality and service complaints
- Coordinating the operation of the lounge during scheduled shifts
- Managing and motivating staff throughout their shift and provide them with feedback
- Carrying out inventory of the bar, cutlery, crockery, glassware, equipment at regular intervals to ensure minimal loses due to theft and breakage
- Ensures that the team demonstrate the highest standards of guest care and welcome in the bar/lounge
- Assumes all duties given by the Supervisors
- A degree or diploma in Hotel Management or similar from a reputable college or university
- Min. 5 years experience with a minimum of 2 years supervisory skills in fine dining establishment
- Management experience
- Basic wine knowledge
- Right work attitude
- Strong social skills Should be a team player and willing to learn
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organisational skills
Cover Letter and detailed CV are to be sent by email to email@example.com marking the subject as “2377”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2377 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 15th September 2016
N.B.* When applying to any job through Duma Works, you can expect that after you apply, you will receive a confirmation email, and then an alert asking you to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test, and if you ever have any issues with the process, please reach out to +254702093793.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer. This is to save both you and the employer time and make sure you both find the best match.