Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Periodically prepare and disseminate position/ policy papers, highlighting the social , legal and policy aspects that hinder political participation on the basis of ethnicity
- Design and execute research and studies on ethnicity and gender and sexual minorities in terms of political participation
- Spearhead political conversations on the participation of citizenry who are otherwise discriminated against in electoral and other governance processes on the basis of ethnicity , gender , disability, age and sexual orientation
- Prepare position/ policy papers on the rights and concerns of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs) and Lesbians, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Lead in policy advocacy/ conversations on the protection of PWDs and LGBTIs in the society.
- Strengthen and broaden KHRC’s partnership with organizations and persons working with Marginalised groups
- Enhance the capacity of the LGBTI community to effectively represent their issues in public platforms using human rights instruments and mechanisms at the national and international levels;
- In liaison with the Human Rights Monitoring and Communications Advisors; track and document violations against marginalised groups and prepare topical and periodical reports.
- Pursuant to the above, disseminate the violations reports and spearhead timely and effective Urgent Action/ Rapid Response initiatives;
- In liaison with the Legal Affairs Advisor, identify, institute and sustain public interest/strategic impact litigation on select human rights issues of Marginalised groups
- Lead in the celebration of human rights/ international days related to the rights of the marginalised groups in Kenya
- Build the capacity of select marginalized groups to effectively demand equity through the structures of devolved governments;
- Develop and sustain strategic partnerships with relevant state and non-state actors at county, national, regional and international
- Monitor compliance and engage with regional and international treaty obligations related to the protection of the rights of the marginalized groups Ensure effective planning, budgeting and procurement for interventions within your area of work.
- Ensure timely reporting and accountability for your interventions in line with KHRC’s schedules and policies;
- Engage in effective resource mobilization and utilization for your plans and interventions
- Participate in the internal committees and overall activities/ affairs of the organization;
- Supervise researchers, interns, consultants and other staff or human resources assigned to this project.
- Undertake other tasks and interventions as may be assigned from time to time by the management team at the KHRC
- A degree in law, political science or international relations or any other related discipline.
- Strong understanding of the national, regional and international human rights and governance issues and mechanisms.
- At least 3-4 years’ experience working on equality and nondiscrimination issues in the society.
- Proven track record in undertaking research, policy/legislative work and advocacy on governance and equality-human rights issues.
- Demonstrable experience in human rights based programming and research.
- Demonstrable experience working with or coordinating partners with community and national levels organizations and networks.
- Capacity to organize all relevant logistics to effectively carry out the responsibilities above.
- Passionate and committed to respect for human rights, diversity, integrity and transparency
- Planning, Organizing and Delivery of Results
- Adapting and Coping; demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Results-driven, flexible, analytical and a practical problem solver.
- Ability to work in teams
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Ability to fundraise and mobilize resources.
If you believe you fit the profile, submit your application and CV detailing your suitability for the post and including daytime telephone contact and three referees, preferably your current or previous line managers to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Disclaimer: KHRC is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization and will seek to recruit the most qualified person for the job irrespective of race, color, marital status, ethnicity, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.
Canvassing will automatically lead to disqualification.
Only successful candidates will be contacted