is seeking a dedicated and highly motivated Head of Reporting &
Accounting to join the fast growing Finance team.
be responsible for Accounting, Reporting (including ERP), Consolidation
and Budgeting support – working closely with the Treasury and
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
As of July, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 900 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
- Ownership of consolidation process of the group / management of consolidation entries
- Maintenance of mapping between financial and management reporting
- Key operational responsibility in annual audit process – day-to-day liaison with Group auditor – for local stand-alone Kenya audit as well as group audit
- Implementation of accounting policies & processes in line with group standards
- Provision of monthly management reporting to SMT / GMT (and board / investors) – based on agreed templates
- Ad hoc analysis as required by Director, Finance and CFO
- Key administrator and in-house liaison to software providers / technical service providers for all relevant finance IT systems (once implemented)
- Creation / maintenance of new reports, submission files, etc. in these systems
- Responsible for vendor / customer master data management in Microsoft Dynamics
- Head accountant for the Kenya entity; specifically to ensure accounting done properly (in line with statutory and group requirements), and monthly reporting completed on time
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting, Business or related fields. MBA preferred.
- CPA with over 5 years of experience in Financial reporting, accounting, controlling or a related function.
- Excellent knowledge of IFRS is required combined with the ability to research and propose company positions on complex accounting issues
- International accounting is an added advantage combined with issue recognition experience;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage well through ambiguity and complexity
- Ability to execute and follow-through to on-time completion of tasks and projects
- Fluency in spoken and written English, knowledge of Swahili is added advantage
- Strong communicator with excellent verbal, analytical, organisational and written skills
- Excellent ICT skills including a good knowledge of MS Office and accounting / ERP software; previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics (AX7) an advantage
- Attention to detail and the ability to produce timely and accurate financial reports
- Demonstrated people management skills and experience managing a team of a similar size
How to Apply
To apply, send a CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject “Head of Reporting & Accounting”.
Deadline for application is 30th September 2016.
Please Note: M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.