In the Horn of Africa, South Sudan and Yemen (HoASSY) region, about 40% of school age children are out of school and require urgent support to access quality education.
The purpose of this position is to ensure the effective and efficient Financial Management of the Educate a Child project by providing leadership in developing tools for successfully administering the overall budget across the 5 implementing countries and providing financial analysis of the project’s performance to inform decision making processes.
The Finance Manager will work with finance staff from all the implementing countries and will oversee the coordination of financial monitoring and reporting in accordance to the donor rules and regulations.
- Coordinate the financial aspects of the multi-state, multi-year, program in line with EAC requirements.
- Ensure all financial and accounting aspects of project operations, strong internal control system, accurate and on time submission of financial reports to the donor.
- Ensure that financial management systems and records for EAC are effective and robust in order to identify and protect the assets and interests of the program
- Consolidate financial reports, fund requests and budget amendments in a timely manner throughout the life the EAC project.
- Review and monitor budgets for all implementing countries to support financial stability, efficiency and value for money.
- Be the focal point for the EAC project budget preparation and budget revisions and occasionally participate in any such meetings to foster compliance and to address any financial issues.
- Ensure that all procurements, payments and other transactions are in line with EAC financial guidelines, rules and regulations for procurement, accounting and reporting
- Train NRC staff involved in EAC project and finance staff in EAC rules and Regulations.
- Monitor and support budget preparation and any revisions to budget holders for relevant proposed projects during the period.
- Review all financial reports and make sure their expenses comply with both EAC donor’s requirement and NRC’s financial regulations.
- Coordinate the project audits as per the donor requirements.
- Facilitate training sessions on grants management, general accounting, internal controls and administrative systems for EAC project within the implementing countries.
- Undertake periodic visits to the implementing countries & field offices in order to support staff and put forward recommendations for improvements where appropriate
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a senior Finance Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Solid knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems
- Ability to work closely with field based national staff and experience in various staff training
- High level of communication, interpersonal, representation and negotiation skills
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge in Arabic language will be an added advantage
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Initiating action and coping with change
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision
- Able to present and represent an organisation
- Culturally sensitive and coping with a changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analysis skills (qualitative and quantitative)
- Experience working with statistical computer software packages
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced and complex environment.
- Flexible and proactive attitude towards problem-solving
- Duty station: Nairobi
- Contract period is for 12 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi
- 40% Travel is expected.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Finance
- Role: Supervisor
Go to www.nrc.no to apply online
Deadline for application: 03/10/2016