The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
The security and humanitarian situation in South Sudan has deteriorated sharply since mid-December 2013 when violence erupted in the capital Juba and quickly spread to large parts of the country. Large-scale displacement and massive humanitarian needs persists.
NRC programmes are designed to provide protection and durable solutions for IDPs, refugees and returnees. In South Sudan NRC focuses both on emergency humanitarian responses and early recovery work.
The Project Manager is responsible for the management of a Food Security Core Competency (CC) projects within South Sudan – currently with a main focus on the Bahr el Gazhal region.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities.
- Develop, coordinate and manage Food Security projects in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Manage, train and develop the Food Security team
- Ensure high technical quality and transparent processes
- Adherence to Food Security tools and handbooks and other NRC policies
- Represent Food Security CC in internal and external forums
- Responsible for project documentation
- Develop, manage and monitor the budgets according to Financial Handbook and donor requirements.
- Transparent and cost efficient procurement of goods
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Implement project specific protection priorities
- Capacity building of national staff, including coaching and mentoring of internal candidates for management positions, in accordance with the country operation’s policy guidance on national staff development
- Ensure the preparation and writing of food security proposals and donor reports (log frame, narrative, and budget) together with the Food Security team and in collaboration with other core competencies and the support team.
- Management of relationships and coordination with local implementing partners, relevant government departments and other international organizations in the implementation of food security projects
- Provision of strategic direction and analysis of desired food security interventions responding to the food security needs (in areas of operation and/or areas of expansion)
- Liaise and maintain excellent working relationships with the Food Security Cluster members, representing NRC at meetings and relevant forums, particularly participate in the Clusters in the area of work.
- Actively identify methods to make any food security project more sustainable and to enhance and pilot innovations and design approaches in collaboration with the Food Security Specialist.
- Actively participate in design and implementation of baseline, mid-term and final evaluations and ensure follow-up of recommendations to improve quality of the project programming
- Continuously monitor and analyze potential food security needs and lead the team in conducting gap analysis and assessments of hard to reach areas with a view to implement food response.
- Responsible for ensuring that teams actively carry out and participate in both multi sector and sector assessments and produce assessment reports with clear recommendations on the way forward
- Lead on practical implementation of community based programming with strong community participation and involvement, with a focus on accountability to affected populations.
- Contribute to Advocacy in the CO with relevant documents and information
- Liaise closely with the Food Security Specialist on technical issues and contribute to the food security strategy process and fundraising efforts
- Contribute to the development of synergies among the different NRC core competencies
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical Food Security expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Base in Alek /Aweil with frequest travels to the fields
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Location: South Sudan
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Food Security
- Role: Middle / line manager
are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous
positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this
information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field
for both company and location
Go to www.nrc.no to apply online
Deadline for application: 03/10/2016